Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 236
Page 236 of 330 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 3293

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

Quote Originally Posted by jamaster14 View Post
    just ordered my first knife... a stainless 240mm heiji. hope to some day have a collection similar to yours... only looks like working in reverse order
    just FYI, in case you aren't aware, Heiji is semi-stainless, not stainless (not including his carbon knives, of course), and the core steel will patina rather quickly. This is normal and expected.

Kochi 240 Stainless. Just got it last night, going to put it to the ropes today

Ohhh I love my Kochi carbon - please let us know how this guy performs! Also curious about how it handles the stones once you get there.

thanks.... and yes i was aware

Beautiful pictures of that Kochi!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I got the Konosuke Blue 1 Fujiyama, today. It has an obvious family resemblance to the Aoko Kagekiyo, though I don't know who actually made either knife, and it is has very nice fit and finish, though it's very clear why the Kagekiyo is the more expensive knife, when you have them side by side. The handle on the Kono feels good, and the knife has a good balance. It is a heavier blade than the Kagekiyo, but still reasonably light. In terms of grind, the Kagekiyo has a sweet distal taper, heel to tip, and gets very thin at the tip, where as this Fuji Kono has little taper until the secondary bevel becomes apparent on the spine, and then tapers dramatically to the tip (this is similar to how a Heiji looks, from the spine, though OOTB the Kono Fuji isn't as thin at the tip as a Heiji). Geometry wise, the Kono Fuji and the Kagekiyo are very similar, though the Kagekiyo is a certain amount thinner than the Konosuke, behind the edge. There isn't a lot in it, but one can just slightly feel it when pinched between thumb and forefinger. The Aoko Kagekiyo is the best pure cutter I've used, and the Konosuke Fuji is a close second. The OOTB edge on the Kono was pretty poor, but it was very pleasant to sharpen (1k Chosera followed by 8k Gesshin). I also thinned out the spine above the tip section, which took a minute or two, and the tip is Heiji thin, now. I used the knife to do a big batch of Salsa, and edge retention was great, and the knife was a joy to use. My remaining finger stone, a big Maruka fragment bought from JNS a few years ago, that I've been slowly chipping off and mounting to paper, pretty much perfectly restored the OOTB finish on the secondary bevel after I thinned the tip, and this is nice to know, as I've yet to have to refinish the Aoko Kagekiyo, and both knives have the same finish below the Shinogi.

I can post pics of both knives next to each other, tomorrow, if anybody is interested. I don't know how easy the Kono will be to get, as Tosho seems to have only had one.

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post

Looks great!

I really like the finish (or lack thereof) of the Kochi

Awesome photos, Marc!

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post

Did you get this from Jon? I though he was out of them. I'm hoping to get my hands one eventually. By the way, your photography is exceptional! Great backdrop / lighting / composition...