Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 253
Page 253 of 342 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 3415

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

It's raining Raders!

Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    Finally, after an almost-exact two-year wait, I picked up last week my two Michael Rader custom-order knives. These are a 10" Chef and a matching 5" Utility, both with D. Lish feather damascus, and handles made of oak burl and bog oak.

(...)

Needless to say, I am VERY happy with them!

At the same time, I also picked up two hunting knives by Steve Nolte with the most amazingly insane mosaic damascus... glad to post them if there's any interest to see them...
    wow, nice raders!! and yes, please post pics of your hunting knives...

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    The Rader integral wa is so awesome, just like Reede has on his matching pair, but in that Lisch Damascus?!?!?!?!
    Sicko!
    Congrats. Great score.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Awesome Raders! Talk about a blade smith who is always elevating his game with every new knife. I love the Lisch damascus as well and I will have something to show from him coming up very shortly.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    wow, nice raders!! and yes, please post pics of your hunting knives...
    At the same time as my Raders I also picked up these two knives by Steve Nolte, with Larry Donnelly damascus and engraving by Eric Nelson.

(Click image to enlarge)

(Click image to enlarge)

A few months ago, while I was surfing the web about mosaic damascus and especially the techniques for making billets with powdered steels, I happened upon a picture of the first knife, which was shown on the Blade Magazine web site (it still is, on the home page - the knife is also featured in the May issue of the paper magazine, which just hit the news stands). I immediately contacted Steve Nolte, the knife maker, to see if he could make me one with the same steel, and found out that Larry Donnelly, who had made that steel, no longer forged. However, Steve still had that very same knife, as well as a second one he had made from the same steel but etched in monochrome... long story short, I bought both!

The knives are extremely well made, and the engraving is beautiful. But what totally blows my mind is the damascus!!! I have seen a lot of billets of mosaic damascus, but never have I seen anyone with that much control over the resulting geometry of the damascus! If you know how mosaic damascus is made, try adding up the number of forgings which the sub-billets plus the overall billet must have required, and imagine maintaining the geometry throughout all that... my mind was, is, and remains blown!!!

Whoa that is some crazy, ka-razy damascus! Nice score! Did he only ever make those two?

Quote Originally Posted by Reede View Post
    Let's see, if I can get an ID made as Jamaster14, and get to the Post office tomorrow before he gets there.......................
    you're too late!

already in love with both of these knives. love the profile of the masamoto and the nakkiri is a beast on veg. now what to do with 200,000 paper thin slices of onion???

the other thing i noticed right away - i suck at taking pictures
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

Mosaic damacus = SICK! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by a.lber.to View Post
    At the same time as my Raders I also picked up these two knives by Steve Nolte, with Larry Donnelly damascus and engraving by Eric Nelson.

(Click image to enlarge)

(Click image to enlarge)

A few months ago, while I was surfing the web about mosaic damascus and especially the techniques for making billets with powdered steels, I happened upon a picture of the first knife, which was shown on the Blade Magazine web site (it still is, on the home page - the knife is also featured in the May issue of the paper magazine, which just hit the news stands). I immediately contacted Steve Nolte, the knife maker, to see if he could make me one with the same steel, and found out that Larry Donnelly, who had made that steel, no longer forged. However, Steve still had that very same knife, as well as a second one he had made from the same steel but etched in monochrome... long story short, I bought both!

The knives are extremely well made, and the engraving is beautiful. But what totally blows my mind is the damascus!!! I have seen a lot of billets of mosaic damascus, but never have I seen anyone with that much control over the resulting geometry of the damascus! If you know how mosaic damascus is made, try adding up the number of forgings which the sub-billets plus the overall billet must have required, and imagine maintaining the geometry throughout all that... my mind was, is, and remains blown!!!
    HOLY C#*P!
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by gavination View Post
    Whoa that is some crazy, ka-razy damascus! Nice score! Did he only ever make those two?
    I am aware that Steve Nolte made at least three knives with that steel - I have a picture of the third knife, which he has e-mailed me, but that knife had already been sold:

(Click on the image to enlarge)

No idea if other knives exist elsewhere with this particular mosaic damascus...