Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 269
Page 269 of 330 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3292

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

Hi Mucho, both knives are Marko's S grind geometry, the western in in AEB-L and the D is in 52100, both knives are really impressive examples of Marko's work.

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Watanabe 180mm nakiri. Really liking it and buying direct was an easy experience.

great knife... how are you liking it? had mine 2 weeks now and love the performance
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

Ummm... so yeah... I picked this up f/ Maximo. Got it a little less than a week ago.

Yoshiyaki Fujiwara "Kato" Workhorse, Kikuryu 240mm western gyuto w/ white ebony

My first impressions mimic Max's description on his site to a tee. First impressions out of the box are very unremarkable - F&F is OK, not great. Profile looks good, but the edge is not dead flat anywhere - there's a continuous curve from heel to tip, but the radius is continuously variable - bigger at the heel and tighter at the tip. Handle is a bit smaller than I prefer. Edge sharpness OOTB was nothing to get excited about. Edge and are not very thin.

I said this to Max when I got it, and he responded with basically (I'm paraphrasing) "yeah, so, that's all accurate. Go cut something with it..."

So I did. I stropped it first on my usual 2mc boron, 1mc chro ox, + bare leather. Didn't really get that much sharper, which tells me the edge steel is very hard. Will cut paper, but barley shave arm hair.

This thing is a CUTTING MONSTER!!! Honestly I haven't been cooking much lately, and haven't it put it through a lot of work yet, but it's truly amazing how well it cuts. Like nothing else I have or have used. It's got the most wicked convex grind, which is not at all apparent in the choil shots. No wedging so far, and very little sticktion. Cladding is fairly reactive, but not as bad as my Shigefusa. A nice thing about not having the edge dead flat is there's none of that double clunk when push cutting, as I sometimes get with my Shig. And no accordioning either.

Now I get what all the fuss is about. Thanks again Max!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

It's called the workhorse for a reason

Looks very elegant with the white ebony, almost looks like bone.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I love that handle!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I love that handle!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

That's nice. The Kato is such a brute I didn't think I'd like an alternate handle - but that works great with the huge tang. I'm curious....has anyone re-handled a wa handled workhorse?

I really like the shape of the handle, I only wish it was 10mm longer. And fatter. I may be looking to get it re-scaled to have it chunkier. And give it a spa treatment to refine the choil and spine edges. Ahem, Dave.

I don't really consider it a brute - this strikes a good balance of sturdiness and finesse. even though it's far from the thinnest BTE knife I have it'll slice just as thinly as my Shig, Yusuke special, or 270 Yoshikane (which is ridiculously thin BTE).

Here's a good analogy (and a fun watch!!!) Kato is bare bones and sheer performance; Shigefusa is refined, elegant, beautifully finished, cuts like a dream - when it's sharp, but doesn't stay sharp at all.

Kato 240 western gyuto

Shigefusa 240 wa-gyuto
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Ummm... so yeah... I picked this up f/ Maximo. Got it a little less than a week ago.

Yoshiyaki Fujiwara "Kato" Workhorse, Kikuryu 240mm western gyuto w/ white ebony
    Hey,
    I got exactly the same knife from Maxim , I had to sell Kato Wa ( chestnut)to get this . I share your every word , Yes it's not a perfect fit and finish , but it's a great cutter

I bought an un-modifified Mizuno 270mm gyuto, at a wonderful price. I had missed mine. I'll post pics once I have it cleaned up.