Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 42
Page 42 of 342 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    Why do so many people own Forgecrafts?
    Because they're cool! ;x. Really though they're inexpensive, carbon, easy to modify, and suprisingly good cutters. Did I say cool?

He'll get the bug now and score one . . . at least one.

I blame Son. On top of that, the grind, the steel, the feel.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Are they a good knife, or just a good knife for the money?

To me, those are two different things. Forschners aren't particularly good knives, but for the money they are. I was thinking about getting one anyway, just to see. Now, just to see where I can get one from that will ship to England..

They are good knives and were industry standard back in the day along with Dexter, Lamson/Goodnow, Ontario, Ekco Forge, etc. But sadly the industry demand is for stainless now so the old high carbon has gone by the wayside (so to speak) in the commercial USA brands.

I was talking about this with a guy at Dexter today. I called to find out what steel this 45A12H I just finished is made of. We talked about the migration from high carbon to stainless. At least there are companies in the US still producing.

Anyone should ship to England, it's just dealing with jumping through the hoops so you guys don't get slammed that makes it sort of complicated.
    09/06

Surely they aren't that expensive? If you have to pay Customs or anything I don't think it would be that much

I love my forge. Very sabatier-esque profile. Steel takes a decent edge and holds it fairly well. Mine took a patina within a few hours, and I've yet to notice any reactivity since. And they're cool looking, which obviously aids performance immensely...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I'm all for keeping them old-school, but I think it's awesome to see the new handles and polishing everyone does on them. Not too many knives get the honor of being redone with so much attention 40 years after the fact.
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    but I think it's awesome to see the new handles and polishing everyone does on them. Not too many knives get the honor of being redone with so much attention 40 years after the fact.
    yeah well some might think its crazy to get a custom handle and redo the tang for 230$ and then hand polish the blade to 12k
    when the knife is only 10-50$

but its true, its very nice to bring something back to life that is old. i only polish blades that has pitting or active rust. so the chefknife is mirror polished for fun and the cleaver seems to be a NOS so i didnt do that one. i do like old blades with a dark even patina aswell.