Page 5 of 342 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Actually, I ordered mine last year after seeing the one pictured on Jon's website now (the ferrule on mine being the only difference).

(I just created a Photobucket account, as I can't figure out Picasa/Google+!)
    dude, those Inos are awesome looking!

Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
    I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
    -taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
    -light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
    -removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
    -forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
    -stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
    -put a new edge on it of course .

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

Sweet Mac!

Who made the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Sweet Mac!

Who made the handle?
    Isaiah Schroeder!

Wow, nice job on the staining. Also, way to upgrade a $40 cleaver to a whole other level!

Wow - that's one sweet cleaver. I'm going to refer to your list above for future messing about with my knives. Really nice handle too: looks great, but also complements and doesn't distract from the metal. Excellent!

mygod thats mcsexy custom saya?
    Last edited by Mr.Magnus; 07-29-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: more words

Thanks guys, the saya is not really a custom order...it fits the CCK and the cooksknivestogo in-house cleaver. It's made very well indeed!

What'd you do to remove the "slag" from the KU finish? Great job btw.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    What'd you do to remove the "slag" from the KU finish? Great job btw.
    I sanded most of it off and then soaked the whole thing in vinegar for about 5-6 hours....after the bath it came off pretty easy with a green scrubbie. As of now it just looks like a brushed finish.