Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 309 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 3085

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

  1. #61
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    842
    Shun Bob Kramer Meiji 6"



  2. #62

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,365
    Nice!

  3. #63
    Senior Member cclin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,094
    Yoshikane SLD


  4. #64

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,365
    Dude, you are gonna love that knife.


    Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Yoshikane SLD


  5. #65
    Senior Member cclin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,094
    my favor Damascus- Yoshikane SLD

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    11
    I continue to be stunned and bemused by the sheer beauty of the knives posted in this thread - the blessed Yoshikane above looks good enough to eat by itself. Even though my brain <knows> better, there's something so luscious about the damascene, that I keep thinking "Hmmmm - perhaps a delicate nut-like flavor with hints of pear and chocolate."

    So, from a far less elegant, but more frugal (aw, 'fess up Jim - the word is cheap - the total cost was less than $50...) and utilitarian perspective here are two pretty simple knives that have found a home in our kitchen:



    First is a Bunmei 180mm Usuba - a simple, plain working tool - nicely balanced, good heft, and it sharpened up well with my limited skills. It was a $20 Craigslist find, and had been somewhat abused with lots of small nicks and some visible fold-over on the edge. An afternoon's work with waterstones, followed by a ceramic honing rod, and stropping across an egg carton seems to have brought it back to a usable condition with a few chips remaining to be worked out over time.




    Aside from vegetables, it has already earned its keep by quartering enough apples for about 20 quarts of applesauce, and split an entire winter's supply of Italian Plums which are drying in the basement - its ability to just cruise through pits and apple cores made these tasks far easier.

    The other knife was an eBay impulse purchase - wife K. accuses me of being "An Invertebrate eBay abuser..." Sadly, I think she's correct, I just don't have enough spine to stand up to a bargain. This was a raw blade that had never had its tip shaped nor a final edge ground, and because it looked so odd, I got it for a song - well, maybe an EP single - it cost $16. I roughed out an edge with a slightly coarse garnet stone, finished it on several waterstones, threw on a Hoh wood handle, and ended up with this:



    Which 'ecchef' took one look at in the intro forum, and admonished me - "Welcome! Fix the tip."

    "Uhm, er, ah - Yessir! - is this any better?"





    Actually, my neighbor Ernie Leimkuhler - who is reckoned to be a pretty dab hand with a knife grinder - saw me using the blade said something along the lines of: "That's just too ugly to live..." took it home like a stray puppy, reground a functional edge, finished it with an Edo-style tip, and now its a Bunka Hocho or something similar.



    It's fairly thick at the spine, but not particularly heavy for its size (now about 210mm) - my hunch is that it's a white steel, which it seems fairly hard, and it does take a very decent edge.

    So there they are, two rather modest knives without backstory or pedigree, not even vaguely pretty - but which for a very small cash outlay have made my cooking life much more effective, and even more, enjoyable

    Cheers;

    Jim

  7. #67
    Senior Member Mucho Bocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    Shun Bob Kramer Meiji 6"


    Magnus, Finally someone around here but me bought one of these. I love the handle, in fact I'm having a handle made for my 210 Yusuke modeled after this knife. I also have XL hands. Curious to get your feedback. I think the grind and profile is expectational. Very little stickson even with sweet potatoes. I think I have it sharpened at 11 a side with a 15 degree micro. Will hold its edge better than AS and HD steel.

  8. #68
    Senior Member marc4pt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Magnus, Finally someone around here but me bought one of these. I love the handle, in fact I'm having a handle made for my 210 Yusuke modeled after this knife. I also have XL hands. Curious to get your feedback. I think the grind and profile is expectational. Very little stickson even with sweet potatoes. I think I have it sharpened at 11 a side with a 15 degree micro. Will hold its edge better than AS and HD steel.
    You're not alone on this one. Absolutely love my 8"and serrated meiji. They both get some good millage in my kitchen

  9. #69
    Senior Member Mr.Magnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Magnus, Finally someone around here but me bought one of these. I love the handle, in fact I'm having a handle made for my 210 Yusuke modeled after this knife. I also have XL hands. Curious to get your feedback. I think the grind and profile is expectational. Very little stickson even with sweet potatoes. I think I have it sharpened at 11 a side with a 15 degree micro. Will hold its edge better than AS and HD steel.
    Yeah I think the handle is great but the belly on this knife is Abit to aggressive for my personal liking. I got this knife very cheap and would not buy it for full price. But for the 100 bucks I paid new in box i could not argue.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Jim View Post
    I continue to be stunned and bemused by the sheer beauty of the knives posted in this thread
    Me too

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Jim View Post
    The other knife was an eBay impulse purchase - wife K. accuses me of being "An Invertebrate eBay abuser..." Sadly, I think she's correct, I just don't have enough spine to stand up to a bargain. This was a raw blade that had never had its tip shaped nor a final edge ground, and because it looked so odd, I got it for a song - well, maybe an EP single - it cost $16. I roughed out an edge with a slightly coarse garnet stone, finished it on several waterstones, threw on a Hoh wood handle, and ended up with this:
    Interesting story....I need neighbors like that!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts