new on the forum and already crying for help..., please excuse my bad manners
I am on the lookout for a new Wa Gyuto with some restrictions, mainly that no horn should be used as handle material.
Antler is okay, though wood is preferred. I already have a good idea what I would like to have, but finding such an offer
proves to be quite challenging.
I'll take the liberty to compress the questionnaire a bit.
Budget: 200€ no problem, 300€ fine, 400€ ...oh well, 500€ hopefully not going to happen
Profile / Geometry:
- Length of 21cm / 24cm
- Symmetric grind preferred
- Not too thick, but not laser thin either (somewhat of a middle ground, tending more to laser)
- A bit of a flat spot around the heel would be nice
Steel Preferences (though generally open):
- Rusty with stainless clad > Stainless > Mono Rusty
- HRC 60 - 63
- Damascus - irrelevant
- Priorities: Sharpness 8/10, Edge Retention 7/10, Sharpening 5/10, Toughness 5/10
- Some I had in mind: Aogami Super, Blue 2, AEB-L/13c26, 13c27, R2, HAP40
- Octagonal - ambidextrous
- Made from wood or antler - no horn
- Some (minor) contrast between ferrule and handle
- Nice patterns are a big plus (think burly wood)
- Creamy or bright colors for handle and ferrule preferred
- Spacers are nice
Fit & Finish:
- Migaki finish preferred (hammered types can also be okay, not very fond of kuroichi)
- Choil / Spine Rounding can be done by me - not needed but nice to have
- Well done handle
- Good seal for the tang
Feel free to point out if I'm missing something. I know that the list is somewhat specific. Thats pretty much exactly why
I'm seeking some help in the matter. After hours of searching through different shops I hope someone has a good tip for
me. Any pointers are appreciated ! One big problem is also shipping and taxes, which can easily add 30% to the price.
A few links, just to show you what I'm going for aesthetically:
https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpre...ade-by-sweden/ (Very nice!)