Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching: Wa Gyuto with nice wooden handle

Searching: Wa Gyuto with nice wooden handle

Hello folks,
    new on the forum and already crying for help..., please excuse my bad manners
    I am on the lookout for a new Wa Gyuto with some restrictions, mainly that no horn should be used as handle material.
    Antler is okay, though wood is preferred. I already have a good idea what I would like to have, but finding such an offer
    proves to be quite challenging.
    I'll take the liberty to compress the questionnaire a bit.

Budget: 200€ no problem, 300€ fine, 400€ ...oh well, 500€ hopefully not going to happen

Wishlist:
    Profile / Geometry:
    - Length of 21cm / 24cm
    - Symmetric grind preferred
    - Not too thick, but not laser thin either (somewhat of a middle ground, tending more to laser)
    - A bit of a flat spot around the heel would be nice

Steel Preferences (though generally open):
    - Rusty with stainless clad > Stainless > Mono Rusty
    - HRC 60 - 63
    - Damascus - irrelevant
    - Priorities: Sharpness 8/10, Edge Retention 7/10, Sharpening 5/10, Toughness 5/10
    - Some I had in mind: Aogami Super, Blue 2, AEB-L/13c26, 13c27, R2, HAP40

Handle:
    - Octagonal - ambidextrous
    - Made from wood or antler - no horn
    - Some (minor) contrast between ferrule and handle
    - Nice patterns are a big plus (think burly wood)
    - Creamy or bright colors for handle and ferrule preferred
    - Spacers are nice

Fit & Finish:
    - Migaki finish preferred (hammered types can also be okay, not very fond of kuroichi)
    - Choil / Spine Rounding can be done by me - not needed but nice to have
    - Well done handle
    - Good seal for the tang

Feel free to point out if I'm missing something. I know that the list is somewhat specific. Thats pretty much exactly why
    I'm seeking some help in the matter. After hours of searching through different shops I hope someone has a good tip for
    me. Any pointers are appreciated ! One big problem is also shipping and taxes, which can easily add 30% to the price.

A few links, just to show you what I'm going for aesthetically:
    https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpre...ade-by-sweden/ (Very nice!)
    http://www.cktg.com/gihagy211.html
    http://www.cktg.com/koshbl2gy21.html

Sounds like you would really prefer a custom handle, not sure you're gonna meet all or many of those criteria on a stock blade at that budget. Cleancut has some Goko gyutos available without handle if you don't mind nashiji, maybe a Dalman custom on there would be close to budget and a sure fire looker. Stainless clad and you can't beat shirogami for sharpness!

Check out Robin Dalman...EU...gorgeous handles...only thing to check is symmetry.

Welcome to the forum, good luck in your search.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Administrator
    Watanabe makes nice knives but uses plastic rather than horn for standard handles. White or Blue Steel for the Gyuto. Confirm your "no horn" requirement with him prior to ordering as he may otherwise use it .
    Older and wider..

Cleancut has this custom handle, R2 gyuto.

http://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier/...68-2370-detail

I have some Kurosaki R2's. They are a fantastic knife. R2 is a great steel which requires very little maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by slengteng View Post
    Cleancut has this custom handle, R2 gyuto.

http://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier/...68-2370-detail
    Cool they still have that around. I made that handle. Recently they have started making their own handles also.
    Email preferred to pm; Robin@dalmanknives.com
    I answer new inquirys once per week.

Wow, so many answers in such a short amount of time! Thanks guys
    Ill be sure to check the recommendations out as soon as I can.

Admittedly I have close to zero knowledge concerning customs, but it may be
    worth a look as well. I just always assumed they are so far out of my budget,
    that I better do not even consider it.

So I have checked the stuff out, short overview:
    Watanabe: Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but I haven't really found something that could satisfy me.
    Cleancut's R2: The handle is definately better than most, but overall it didn't really click. I also dislike the blade, referring to the finish and grind, which seemed somewhat wedgie / too far down for my liking, but I may very well be wrong here. Did I understand that right by the way, that you can purchase blade and handle seperately on cleancut? Haven't found the handle section yet, if that is indeed the case (may be because I hardly understand a word, duh )

And then theres Robins work. Wow. I don't believe it's going to get better than this. The style on most of his work is precisely hitting the sweetspot, just awesome. And I'm not just talking handles here. Guess I may have to increase the stakes a bit after all. Assuming I were to go through with it, how much of an investment am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySmooth View Post
    So I have checked the stuff out, short overview:
    Watanabe: Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but I haven't really found something that could satisfy me.
    Cleancut's R2: The handle is definately better than most, but overall it didn't really click. I also dislike the blade, referring to the finish and grind, which seemed somewhat wedgie / too far down for my liking, but I may very well be wrong here. Did I understand that right by the way, that you can purchase blade and handle seperately on cleancut? Haven't found the handle section yet, if that is indeed the case (may be because I hardly understand a word, duh )

And then theres Robins work. Wow. I don't believe it's going to get better than this. The style on most of his work is precisely hitting the sweetspot, just awesome. And I'm not just talking handles here. Guess I may have to increase the stakes a bit after all. Assuming I were to go through with it, how much of an investment am I looking at?
    You should send Robin a pm...he's the person who responded to the question about the handle above (RDalman)...just click on his name and select send private message. I believe he may have some pricing listed in his subforum but easiest to touch base personally and you can get a better idea of how he works.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right