Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi stainless aka trends of the past hd vs tkc vs carbonext

Semi stainless aka trends of the past hd vs tkc vs carbonext

Lately I've been having this desire to pick up a mono western gyuto, many of them are cheaper than the San mai carbon WA stuff I usually gravitate towards and with some elbow grease (easing spine and choil, thinning behind the edge) I'm confident that they could perform nicely for me and with these types of knives I would be less protective at work and more open to my coworkers using them if they wanted to.
    For carbons I've basically narrowed my search down to masahiro vc (sweet profile and they make a lefty version) or suien vc (high hardness, tall blade).
    But at the same time semi stainless would be cool too. I've never used a tkc or a carbonext-but I love kono hd steel. Kono HDs are pretty pricey these days, and kono HDs seem really hard to come by as demand outweighs supply(western HDs are even harder).
    How does carbonext steel and tkc steel compare to hd? How did different are the profiles? Ootb grind doesn't matter much too me as I would do a lot of tweaking anyway. What are your thoughts?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    ... and with these types of knives I would be less protective at work and more open to my coworkers using them if they wanted to.
    I can't really speak to the rest of your inquiry but I have been gravitating this way also. I am not doing nearly as much of my own prep these days and am now getting guys into using nicer knives than our kitchen issue crap. I just picked up a stainless monosteel Uraku for this very reason (probably will pass it on to one of them).

Curious to hear what ends up working for you.

Cheers,
    rj

Thanks,
    Suien vc is in the lead...but I'm keeping my options open. Maybe I can be swayed in a different direction. Also, I can't seem to find western carbon lasers instock anywhere, maybe they were never too available to begin with. A white 2 western ginga,kono, yusuke etc etc would peak my interest.

Haven´t tried them all, suien vc and Carbonext have been forum favorites for a while, hard to decide.. I would look for a kono HD, i´ve had nothing but good experiences.. just love mine!

Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

From what I've heard, there aren't any western HDs in production anymore. Which is a real shame because they are quite nice. The 210 adds that bit of heft that really helps the otherwise-feather-light wa-HD. Feels nicely anchored in your hand with the full tang.

I haven't had a chance to use a 240 western.. but comparing how much more I like the extra weight of the ebony wa-240 HDs to the Ho wa-240 HDs, I would imagine it feels quite nice. I think Raleighcook or something has one, if you could get him to chime in. The 270 western HD feels a tad long for me.. While it too has the nice rear heft from the full tang, the sheer length of the blade hanging off it makes the balance feel different to me as compared to the 210.

I'll have to confess to being a bit of an HD fan, so I rather like how they perform. Even the somewhat-clunky-for-me 270-yo can be nice and nimble if I need it to be. And the semi-stainless is no joke. While I'll admit that Kato has been calling to me more and more lately, the shear ease of maintenance from the HD steel keeps me reaching for them fondly.

Just got a 240 HD. Steel is different than anything I've played with (anti corrosion properties). Water beads off (like Swedish stainless, for instance) but leaves a trace, spots, if you will. Mineral oil? If a light coat goes on, it looks like a smudge. Heavy coat? Back to shiny. Doesn't discolor onions. Doesn't mind citrus. So...come on...SOMEBODY knows what this steel is!! What level of chef knife secret society do I have to achieve to be let in on the secret??! 'Cause I can tell you...pages and pages of Google has come up empty. Does it really matter? No. But my curiosity and OCD has the better of me.

I only have the Carbonext (240 gyuto and honesuki) so I can't really compare. But my 2 cents on the Carbonext:

-Sharpens and deburrs incredibly easy
    -Gets crazy sharp stupidly easy
    -Edge retention not fantastic; something like VG-10 is definitly better in this regard
    -No reactivity whatsoever
    -Won't patina... will occasionally get a bit darker where your pinch-grip is, and it can get smudgy, but it'll always 'dissapear' at some point
    -At the same time it doesn't have the clean 'shine' of a true stainless either
    -My gyuto came with a very assymmetric edge, although the blade itself was ground rather flat
    -Definitly needed a whole lot of thinning

Essentially it's pretty much as advertised: an entry-level carbon knife that's a lot more forgiving.

I just did a side by side of the my western and Japanese handled hd2s. The western handle has more weight as expected. Its also a custom handle so it's even a bit thicker than normal. The grinds look and feel identical. I'm a konosuke fan boy but between these two and my fujiyama bunka I have no complaints. Here's a pic of the western handled one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNxANiohyz_/

Quote Originally Posted by QCDawg View Post
    Just got a 240 HD. Steel is different than anything I've played with (anti corrosion properties). Water beads off (like Swedish stainless, for instance) but leaves a trace, spots, if you will. Mineral oil? If a light coat goes on, it looks like a smudge. Heavy coat? Back to shiny. Doesn't discolor onions. Doesn't mind citrus. So...come on...SOMEBODY knows what this steel is!! What level of chef knife secret society do I have to achieve to be let in on the secret??! 'Cause I can tell you...pages and pages of Google has come up empty. Does it really matter? No. But my curiosity and OCD has the better of me.
    I have HD2 and it behaves like stainless to me. In several years not a glimps of patina; albeit it's not my goto.

If you're considering semi-stainless because of the reactivity of full carbons, some are, others are not. The Masahiro VC is not reactive at all.