Thread: Best BOLSTER for Chef Knife???

Best BOLSTER for Chef Knife???

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get your opinions on the best kitchen chef knife BOLSTER. Images would also be awesome. I am looking to purchase a Japanese Damascus Chef Knife.

Thanks,
    Al

No bolster

Bolster sucks.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

To me, the non bolster sucks.
    I mean by that:

1. Bolster is clean, and no water goes into the handle.
    So no worries in a hectic environment

2. Balances the weight of the knife, handle - blade,
    Which balance is
    a. Better for your wrist
    b. Better for your knife, in case it falls down. Handle heavy knives land with the handle while blade heavy knives land with the blade or the tip of the blade and then the tip is a goner. Balanced knives can land with the above 2 ways, or totally horizontal( as it happened with my Hiromoto Honyaki, and I was about to have a heart attack during the fall, but I got so happy the moment of the landing)
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3

To be clear, I was speaking of the "full bolster" which travels down to the heel of the blade's edge. That sucks.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by supersayan3 View Post
    To me, the non bolster sucks.
    I mean by that:

1. Bolster is clean, and no water goes into the handle.
    So no worries in a hectic environment

2. Balances the weight of the knife, handle - blade,
    Which balance is
    a. Better for your wrist
    b. Better for your knife, in case it falls down. Handle heavy knives land with the handle while blade heavy knives land with the blade or the tip of the blade and then the tip is a goner. Balanced knives can land with the above 2 ways, or totally horizontal( as it happened with my Hiromoto Honyaki, and I was about to have a heart attack during the fall, but I got so happy the moment of the landing)
    1. Knives with bolsters frequently experience water penetration. All depends on maker's f&f quality control.
    2a. Not necessarily so. A weight forward blade aids in cutting, therefore requires less force exerted on your wrist.
    2b. In a short drop, which is 99% of knife accidents, the balance point doesn't matter. The knife doesn't fall far enough to allow gravity to orient the knife in any direction.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

integral bolster, in Damascus is best.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    To be clear, I was speaking of the "full bolster" which travels down to the heel of the blade's edge. That sucks.
    I agree completely.
    Worst design ever
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    1. Knives with bolsters frequently experience water penetration. All depends on maker's f&f quality

2a. Not necessarily so. A weight forward blade aids in cutting, therefore requires less force exerted on your wrist.
    2b. In a short drop, which is 99% of knife accidents, the balance point doesn't matter. The knife doesn't fall far enough to allow gravity to orient the knife in any direction.
    1. Thank you for the information

About 2a. Yes, but it makes it heavier to guide the knife, which is sharp enough to slide through anything 🤘

2b. You are right, but out of experience, I have noticed that possibilities and angles of fall, lean towards the description I made before( laws of gravity affect as well)
    As usually the knife slips from the working surface, where it is horizontal

Actually, unless we are talking a knife mostly used for fast, careless towards-the-thumb peeling, I love the heel razor sharp and pointy - great for scoring peels etc. Always tempted to try and sharpen an edge into a choil. So I think I could never agree with someone like JF on full bolsters