Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel 52100 knives and knifemakers

Steel 52100 knives and knifemakers

Hi all,

I have been slowly looking for my next knife acquisition. I am looking for a gyuto, 240-270mm, mid thickness on the spine and fairly thin on the edge.
    So far one of the alloys that I have not tried is 52100. Is this type of steel a good one for gyuto, general purpose applications?
    I own several carbon blades, caring and dealing with reactivity is not an issue. My sharpening game is also improving steadily.

Who would be a nice vendor/craftsman for 52100 kitchen knives? What is the HRC that it performs the best? Edge taking but not too brittle.
    Are there honyaki (differentially treated) 52100 blades out there? If not why?

Thank you for your insights

G

Quote Originally Posted by GRoc View Post
    Hi all,

I have been slowly looking for my next knife acquisition. I am looking for a gyuto, 240-270mm, mid thickness on the spine and fairly thin on the edge.
    So far one of the alloys that I have not tried is 52100. Is this type of steel a good one for gyuto, general purpose applications?
    I own several carbon blades, caring and dealing with reactivity is not an issue. My sharpening game is also improving steadily.

Who would be a nice vendor/craftsman for 52100 kitchen knives? What is the HRC that it performs the best? Edge taking but not too brittle.
    Are there honyaki (differentially treated) 52100 blades out there? If not why?

Thank you for your insights

G
    Some artisans to investigate:

Bill Burke (also sold by The Epicurean Edge)
    Ian Rogers (Haburn Knives)
    Shehan Prull (Shihan Fine Knives, also sold by Japanese Knife Imports as Ginrei)
    Marko Tsourkan (Tsourkan Knives)
    Michael Rader (http://www.raderblade.com)
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

few of the knives i also know come in 52100

1. Zkramers
    2. Ginrei ( there is a 240mm in the BST section now)
    3. Billipp - if you can find one, but you'll need deep pockets and patience.

52100 is regarded as among the best carbons. Odd that its so often used by american makers but almost never used by Japanese makers. Guess its the cost of shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasFur View Post
    52100 is regarded as among the best carbons. Odd that its so often used by american makers but almost never used by Japanese makers. Guess its the cost of shipping.
    Furbie, There are lots of great carbon steels equal to or better 52100.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen! Really appreciated! Man, some of these get into 4-digit territory... I'd better start boosting the "knife savings account" ! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Furbie, There are lots of great carbon steels equal to or better 52100.
    Which ones would be better than 52100 and by which maker M.B. ? Which one would be/is your dream carbon steel?

Shaun Fernandez (aka knifeFanatic). He works with CTG. I do not know his work personally, but he only uses 52100 and his knife looks very nice.

Dancing on the edge Z.
    Older and wider..

Wait. Let me get my popcorn...

OK proceed.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Mr. Mucho. -- I am really curious to steels that are by far and away better.

Quote Originally Posted by GRoc View Post
    Thank you for the responses gentlemen! Really appreciated! Man, some of these get into 4-digit territory... I'd better start boosting the "knife savings account" ! LOL

Which ones would be better than 52100 and by which maker M.B. ? Which one would be/is your dream carbon steel?
    If you are open to other carbon steels than 52100, you might want to get on Mert Tansu's list. Mert is a full-time chef and part-time knife maker in Australia. He uses various carbon steels in both monosteel and san mai.

Will Catcheside in England is making forged san mai knives with 1.2442 as the core that are excellent performers.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.