Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ginga vs tanaka ginsan vs something else in the price range?

ginga vs tanaka ginsan vs something else in the price range?

I am looking at getting my brother a knife as a gift for his wedding. Right now i'm kinda torn between the knives and stones tanaka ginsan and the ashi ginga. With saya and shipping both are about $180. Is there one you would chose over the other? I am essentially looking for a stainless knife, western or j handle, for $180 including saya and shipping. Any suggestions appreciated

I'd suggest filling out the questionnaire to give the guys on here a better idea of what your looking for specifically thanks.

You did not mention the type of the knife (assuming gyuto) and the length? Based on the price range I guess you are talking about 180mm or 210mm?
    Ginga is a good buy no doubt. No personal experience with Tanaka, but I think the F&F on tanaka is not as good as Ginga.
    Also you can take a look at:
    http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=86649 (You get a discount for being KKF memeber, but has no saya).
    Also Takamura R2 is an excellent choice http://www.chuboknives.com/collections/takamura (does not come with saya though).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    No personal experience with Tanaka, but I think the F&F on tanaka is not as good as Ginga.
    I was looking at the knives and stones tanaka which james has taken care of the f&f issues.

KNIFE TYPE
    210mm gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
    right

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $200 incuding saya and shipping to USA

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    home use

prefer something with good F&F finish as its a gift.

The Ginga is a laser and one I like a lot. Don't know that the Tanaka could be termed "laser". Don't know if that's important to you.

You could keep some coin in your pocket (or buy him a combo stone) with the Gesshin Stainless from JKI. I bough one for knife skills classes and it's become my favorite to gift. Suisin Western Inox from Korin is another nice entry level stainless and might be a little prettier. Either would be the best performing knife he's ever used. And shipped from within USA.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...ess-gyuto.html
    Dave
    Older and wider.

The Tojiro 520 powder steel is another nice knife. It is not a thin light blade, however the grind is thin behind the edge where it counts. Prices vary quite a bit. Knives and Stones (Australia) best price and he sells sayas too. Even with shipping I paid little over 140.00 for the 240mm. USA$ strong to AUS$ now. This is a much better knife than the DP series.

I think the nashiji finish on the tanaka knife is really stunning when you see it in person and with the fit and finish issues fixed by k&s (super classy handle!) I think that is what I would pick as a knife to gift a home cook... beautiful and functional. Quite a bit more robust than the Ginga as well. I generally fear for thin knives.

So is this Tanaka a flat, wide bevel? Or does it have some convexing? My Kochi has made me appreciate thin blades with flat wide bevels.
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    So is this Tanaka a flat, wide bevel? Or does it have some convexing? My Kochi has made me appreciate thin blades with flat wide bevels.
    The 180 mm gyuto that I worked had a pretty flat bevel

Both Kochis I had were more concave on the wide bevel and convex going up to the spine. Flat you mean edge profile?

I would definitely go with James ' tanaka ginsanko gyuto. Seriously a no brainer. Come on, that handle alone has got to be worth more than the blade. And from what I hear, the ginsanko line is a beast. Mine is at the post office waiting for me to pick up tomorrow when I get back into town