Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good beginner knife?

What is a good beginner knife?

I was looking at this one on Amazon and was wondering if it was any good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A7ZEFS02HHKQX

Welcome. Take a look at this and fill out the questionnaire and you'll get some good recommendations.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...estionnaire-v2

Welcome to the forums. I was hesitant approving this as your first post because of the link to the unknown knife brand. These posts often come from the manufacturer themselves.

Please introduce yourself in the new members section and fill out the questionnaire and we can assist you on your next knife purchase.

This design pattern is done/copied by hundreds of brands, but quality can vary - I would strongly recommend getting one from a well known and reputable maker, which should be possible at the price point given - eg there is the Eden VG10 damascus series distributed by knivesandtools.nl, or you could likely get an actual Shun (if that is what you want) if you are a bit patient and wait for special offers.

KNIFE TYPE
    Chefs Knife

Right Handed

Not sure about Western or Japanese handle?

Don't want a knife too long but appropriate enough for most jobs.

Stainless knife would be good

Willing to spend up to 150 for a knife

KNIFE USE
    Intend to use it at home slicing and chopping. And perhaps cutting meats.

Would suggest filling out the rest of the questionnaire. Particularly how you do or don't plan to sharpen will affect how well some recommendations fit your needs

Forget about beginner knives, you have begun already. This doesn't mean "overpay on something really expensive", but "get something that you think is good enough for what you want to do with it".

If you want to spend $90, you can already get something by known good brands in that price range.

Because it doesn't look like you have any specific needs, do a search around the forums for keywords like "beginner", "under $150", etc. and read the countless threads. You'll get an idea of the classic recommendations (Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, etc.). After doing some forum research come back with any questions for these guys, they're super knowledgeable. Also, since you're U.S. based check out Japanese Knife Imports, they just released a stainless right under your budget if you want J-handle.

With that said, I've seen people linking this knife a few times recently on the forum. I don't think we're being advertised to... But why are people so attracted to stuff like this? Amazon is notorious for untrustworthy/fake reviews anyway.

Maybe the knife on amazon is great - but it is indistinguishable from a million other models of varying quality, and might not even be there under the same name in half a year, so little is known.

Tojiro DP? Uhhh... can I recommend it while only owning a few ZEN and knowing the blades are really decent?

Where do you live? Are you in the US, and if so where? There may be a good shop and/ or some forum members nearby who are willing to spend some time with you, let you look at/ try out knives of various length, grind, etc... That way you can get an idea of what you like.

Right now it is basically "I want a knife, and will pay up to $150" -- which narrows things down from a couple thousand to a couple hundred... More info is needed to narrow it down more.

Tojiro DPs are great 'starter' and/ or 'beater' knives that are even less then your budget. But as far as length goes, that is very subjective. To me, a 225-240 gyuto is more nimble/ easier to use then a 180 Wusthof 'chef's knife'. In fact, my first j-knife was a 210, which I thought would be way too long, but it actually felt like a toy since it was much lighter and thinner then the german knives I had used for a couple decades.