Quantcast
What is the deal with Fujiwara Teruyasu
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with Fujiwara Teruyasu

What is the deal with Fujiwara Teruyasu

Are these knives worth the money? The White #1 seems reasonable specially the shorter lengths but the Aogami Super prices are out of this world. Anyone have one of these? They look cool as hell... but seriously... the price?

I had a Nashiji (White #1) 240 gyuto, which was a reasonable knife for the $230 i paid for it. Core steel is excellent, stainless cladding a bonus. Rustic fit and finish was not a problem for me. Cutting performance was unremarkable, grind was decent but nothing more. Personally I wouldn't lay out serious money for a Maboroshi or Denka, ymmv.

yeah I heard the Nashiji was not the greatest, wondering if the next level up is any better

Their pricing structure seems little odd, there is so much difference between 210-240

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    Their pricing structure seems little odd, there is so much difference between 210-240

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum
    yeah the jump is kind of crazy

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I used to have a 195mm Maboroshi no Meito Western Gyuto. It was an excellent knife and I wish I hadn't sold it! The AS ones are crazy expensive though! Wow!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Nashiji has given me a bit of grief...very wonky grind and very uneven edge...thinning has been a real chore and I'm tempted to give up on it or give it to someone with a grinder, instead of continuing to punish my JNS300 stone. Maybe the heat treat is good, but I don't think it's worth the work, unlike a Toshihiro or a Zakuri.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    Nashiji has given me a bit of grief...very wonky grind and very uneven edge...thinning has been a real chore and I'm tempted to give up on it or give it to someone with a grinder, instead of continuing to punish my JNS300 stone. Maybe the heat treat is good, but I don't think it's worth the work, unlike a Toshihiro or a Zakuri.
    the Nashiji is the low end of his knives right?

Nashiji (white #1) is his cheapest line, then Maboroshi (white #1), then Denka (blue super). He also makes some kasumi and kurouchi knives iirc.

The core steel on the Nashiji is fine. I thinned mine down considerably, and it now looks like a Carter as the surface has been smoothed. Trying to remove metal on soft stainless is a PITA. It took hours and hours of work.

I have yet to sharpen my Denka extra-tall nakiri which Fujiwara custom made for me. It has not chipped (which is amazing) and it really behaves like HRC65+. Edge just does not roll at all.

I think there are better values out there and the grind has small flaws here and there. The fit and finish on the handles is really poor, but I really don't care as they're comfortable in my hand.

+ Reply to Thread