Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kono HD2 - worth the money .. and wait?

Kono HD2 - worth the money .. and wait?

Kono Laser and especially the HD2 seem to have a cult following, but recently I have heard more and more opinions saying that Konosuke is doing a great job with marketing and promoting a knife that is essentially not as great (still good) as people think.

What's your take?

I have contacted Konosuke to see when and how specific HD2's would be available (Nakiri and longer Petty) and they don't even know, seems like months ... that's also what I've heard from various vendors.

I was looking to get a Kono down the road and re-handle it as I think they look kind of bland with the standard handle ... not sure if there are any alternatives out there to an HD2

Konosukes aren't exactly easy to find around my parts so I went for the Kotetsu line by Shibata, great alternative is you want a laser. I will find the right Kono at some point though!

Marketing hype...buy something else.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

[QUOTE=alterwisser;351303 ... not sure if there are any alternatives out there to an HD2[/QUOTE]

There are several:

Gesshin Ginga from Japanese Knife Imports (KKF vendor)

Suisin INOX Honyaki from Korin (KKF vendor)

Tadatsuna from AframesTokyo in Hawaii

Mizuno Hontanren (Swedish stainless) from Japanese Chefs Knife

Sakai Yusuke from BlueWayJapan (eBay)
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I quite enjoy using my Kono HD2 gyuto and petty. I bought both from Tosho (KKF vendor) and they come with free saya.

Don't know if I would wait for an hd2 but would definitely wait for a Fujiyama series konosuke. Love those knives

Owned a kono hd2, gesshin ginga and kon fuji, out of all those the fuji was a hell of a knife. Not specifically a lazer like the hd2 or the ginga but out of all these its the only one i regret selling.

That said, is the Kono hd2 worth it? Yeah, i would say so if you cant buy a ginga (all out of stock again) and dont want to pay the increased price for the Suisin and the Tadatsuna comparatively....

At the same price i thought the Ginga fit and finish was better and could buy it first based on this but if you can find an hd2 like at Tosho and the Ginga is still out i would buy it (hd2). Performance wise i thought both were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Mizuno Hontanren (Swedish stainless) from Japanese Chefs Knife
    I think that Swedish Stainless Furinkazan (JCK own brand) is also one of the cousins. Some forum member said that they were good lasers and promised review, but none followed.

I love my suisin I got it from jki Jon had a really good price on them when I bought mine. I beat the piss out of that knife and it's really durable for being a laser.

Slightly off topic but do laser Konosukes have a bit of flex in them?