Quantcast
Suisin Inox Honyaki vs. Gesshin Ginga
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suisin Inox Honyaki vs. Gesshin Ginga

Suisin Inox Honyaki vs. Gesshin Ginga

I'm in the market for a stainless 240 mm sujihiki. Both Suisin (Inox Honyaki) and Gesshin (Ginga) have offerings which I think are great.

I own a 210 mm Suisin Inox Honyaki gyuto and this is currently my absolutely favorite knife. I love its extreme thinness combined with still a convex grind. So I have no hesitation that I will love the Suisin 240 mm sujihiki too.

However, I hear great things about Gesshin Ginga, too. And this knife, that looks (from pictures) very similar to the Suisin Inox Honyaki, is $130 cheaper.

Can anyone convince me that I should go for the Gesshin Ginga? Or that I should stay with Suisin?

Is this knife to be used in a home or work environment?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Home environment.

My computer is having trouble loading JKI's site today for whatever reason but I would recommend you use the compare feature on Jon's site. You can do a side by side comparison of specs, measurements and weights of all the knives Jon carries. Im not 100% certain on this but I think if you compared similar knives in both lines you may find the Suisin Honyaki to be just a tad thicker which is what I would prefer personally. If budget isnt an issue I dont see a reason why you shouldnt stick with Suisin. Unless you would prefer the stainless Ginga steel qualities( a little easier to sharpen than suisin inox but not quite as good retention as inox).

I had Gesshin Ginga and Suisin IH Gyutos at the same time. Would be hard for me to tell the difference on the board or on the stones. My daughter has a Ginga 150 petty, I had a Tad INOX 150 and again it would be tough to tell a difference. And fwiw Tadasuna (sp?) makes a 240 INOX Suji (mine is a keeper) that should be considered in your evaluation.

In the end they are comparable knives, I would go with the one that left me the most coin in my pocket.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I use a Ginga at work every day and love it. Geometry is wonderful. You won't be disappointed.
    -Matt

suisin IH is overpriced. get the gesshin and go grocery shopping or to a concert or something

oh and for all the fawning people do over the suisin fit and finish, i just took my ginga, sanded the bottom two 'corners' of the octagonal handle and the end of the ferrule, which produces the same thing the IH offers in that dept minus the orange wood

and! that machi gap on the suisin is kind of uncomfortable (to me)

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Unless you would prefer the stainless Ginga steel qualities( a little easier to sharpen than suisin inox but not quite as good retention as inox).
    I know they're both Swedish stainless steel, so this sounds like 13C26, aka AEB-L (Gesshin Ginga), vs 19C27 (Suisin) .