Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forgecraft Prices now officially crazy

Forgecraft Prices now officially crazy

well we can blame ourselves, I think it is fair to say the prices have gone at least a little bit crazy, the last one I was bidding on (a 10" in good but not great shape) sold for something close to $60 as a delivered price and one is routinely seeing them in the $70 range.

I like my forgies a lot but considering they often involve thinning-especially the later ones which aren't ground as well, occasionally involve rehandling and always involve a major sharpening session, buying a Fujiwara or Masahiro carbon for around $80 would seem a much better deal, no?

depends on your goal.

there's more to life than raw performance.

I am sure you have some good swap meets whatever you call them there in the Bay area. I have found best deals on old carbons. Some guys have a bunch of old knives some are crap but others definitely worth restoring.

Seems a bit morbid but I'm gonna start checking out estate sales.

It's nuts. I had a small one I used as a boner when I first started cooking and it was a good and very useful knife. But I paid twelve dollars for it at the flea market. I occasionally get the urge to buy another but every time I do the prices deter me.

I was surfing ebay for Forgies and I've came to the conclusion that not only is there very little available compared to the past but the prices are whacked now. I also believe that everyone bidding is a KKF member.

Well I took that 10 inch Chef that sold today all the way up to $26 if anyone is wondering. Mostly out of curiosity. Frankly, I don't see any difference between these knives and Ontario Old Hickory's. At one time every major cutlery company had their own version for their low end consumer line. And many more hardware distributors had one or another cutlery company making knives under their own private label.

i don't get the obsession with old carbons, i think they are crap. just because its carbon doesn't make it good, it's still low end steel. i would rather use a brand new kiwi for bargain prices.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i don't get the obsession with old carbons, i think they are crap. just because its carbon doesn't make it good, it's still low end steel. i would rather use a brand new kiwi for bargain prices.
    Agreed!

I'm not a forgecraft guy myself as I've tried twice and just wasn't feeling it both times. But I do love my vintage sabs. The ones I have at least have the sickest taper which I like a lot, gets super sharp, holds it for a good amount of time definitely can be used as beaters and not crazy reactive. Don't really see what's not to like. I got one a few months ago for $60 and feel it's hands down better than anything in that price range.