Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aritsugu knives

Aritsugu knives

I recently bought an Aritsugu 8" wa handled deba during a visit to Kyoto. Its really piqued my interest in quality knives

I have looked at many threads here but there is little to no discussion on Aritsugu knives. I understand Aritsugu is a respected knife maker that goes back to the 1600's. I would like to get a different type of knife like their gyuto (the deba was a spur of the moment purchase and although a beautiful knife I have realized its not the most practical - as you all know)

I have also found that barring another trip to Kyoto (not planning on it) or a contact in Japan (nope) its not easy to find these knives. Is that why there is not much I discussion on them?

And are there other places than their website, which doesn't deliver outside Japan, where I can find these knives? I haven't seen any on the websites frequently mentioned here

Thanks and really enjoy all your discussions on knives (and have bought some sharpening stones to do my own knives!!)

Aframes Tokyo carries Aritsugu knives

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Aframes Tokyo carries Aritsugu knives
    Yep I bought my 270mm Aritsugu Yanagiba from him 8 yrs. ago great blade.

Great and thanks!! Assuming they ship to Canada I am in good shape

Am still a bit curious that their name doesn't come up very often esp in a discussion of quality knives....

But thanks for the direction and on to my next knife!!

They're actually well known to members here. Since they've been known for many years, they don't get discussed as much as they used to.

Here's a review: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/kt...ugugy270.shtml

Thank you for the link. I have been reading up on all the different types of Japanese knives available. Am not stuck on the Aritsugu but the different number of choices is overwhelming. Will keep reading

Thanks!

Vern1, you just need to email Aritsugu. They don't take foreign order from the website, but they take order via email. I emailed them recently to get a quote for shipping, they responded the next morning.
    Steve

Thank you Steve, since we're both in Toronto maybe we could save some shipping costs on our next order!

Sounds good.
    Steve

My parents got me a 240mm gyuto from the Tsukiji fishmarkets earlier this year as a 30th Birthday present. I really like it. Not quite as think as my Ginga, but still quite thin. A little on the short side, but it definitely does well with onions and what not.

And it reacts very well to Jon's diamond stone set.