Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redundancy

Redundancy

I assume everyone here has lots of knives. How do y'all handle it when you have a number of knives you want? Do you get them all in different lengths (or a wide variety of lengths, at least) to have slightly different uses, or do you get an array of 240mm (or whatever) gyutos and pick whichever you feel like on a given day?

For example, right now, my "nice" knife is a 240mm K&S Tanaka blue2. I do love it - it's sharp, doesn't wedge, and the length works well because it's nimble enough to dice peppers and onions, while it's long enough to shred a pound of Brussels sprouts at once reasonably quickly. I've been drooling over Takedas for a few weeks now, and Dalmans both look beautiful and will (or at least seem like they should) straight-out stop onions from climbing the face. In this situation, would y'all get everything as 240mm gyutos and pick which you felt like on a given day, or get the Dalman as a 210 (for use on peppers and onions), Takeda as a 150mm petty, and keep using the Tanaka for Brussels sprouts? That would give a wide variety of options, but also means that if I decided I just liked using a 240mm gyuto, I only have the one.

Decisions suck, and you are all horrible influences and enablers.

It depends on the size of your budget and your knife block.

You will likely do 90% of the tasks with one knife - the gyuto/chef's - and that the rest of the blades will fill the 10%. I would (and have) kept most of my gyuto purchases in the 240 mm range. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have several that I rotate, usually using one for a couple of weeks before I want a change to another.

Keep in mind that a 240 will sell quicker than a 210 or a 270 if you decide it's not for you.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Small stuff will climb for sure, don't expect magic food release
    I diced some onion yesterday:

(Now I'll read up on some rules to see if I'm allowed to reply like this...)
    Last edited by daveb; 05-11-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RDalman View Post
    I diced some onion yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFONDi1P8rL/

Well I, for one, appreciate that video and your honesty. I still love how your knives look - the thing about them and the Takedas is that they look noticeably different from others without being ridiculously flashy or compromised for appearances. And sharp.

Like, I know everyone here speaks highly of Itinnomons, and I'm sure they're great. But they look like a lot of other knives, and if a great knife can be had that also looks unique, I'd shade towards that.

I've got more gyutos in my preferred range (240), but find some of those other lengths nice to have as well.
    And that allows me to "justify" having more knives. Like, "Wow, I STILL don't have a 270 gyuto!"

Before I joined this forum I thought that I had a problem and I had to many knives. Ya'll made me feel much better about myself. The only redundancy I have is 2 pettys and they are diff lengths. I'm a pro and I'm certainly not a collector. I have no "drawer queens" and all my knives need to put in work. I recently upgraded my gyuto from a 240 Zakuri to a Kagekiyo but I first sold my old one to to one of my cooks to make room for it. My kit includes gyuto, suji, nakiri, 2 petty, parer, honesuki, bread and a kogatana "utility". I understand there's a wide variety of people on here and we all get knives for different reasons. I love j knives because of they're form and function. Yes they are beautiful but they also make my job easier and far more enjoyable. I just don't need a gyuto 3x over at 240 plus a 210, 270 and 300. Just need the one. That being said, I'm always ready for a new knife. We're gonna start getting whole salmon in so looks like I need to get myself a large deba...

Yeah, I don't ever intend on having a drawer queen. I want knives I can and will use, though some redundancy isn't the end of the world. Nothing for hanging on the wall or sitting in a box so I can say I have it, though.

I just decided to make sets. One or two gyuto something to slice with a petty and maybe a few butchery knives. If a knife is good enough it becomes the base of a new set. Currently have a set of beaters and working on a set of wa handle knives.
    "The self-seeking man who is looking after his personal comforts and leading a lazy life- there is no room for him even in hell" - Narendranath Dutta

Quote Originally Posted by RDalman View Post
    I diced some onion yesterday:

Hey Robin, Welcome. That turned around pretty quick.

Short answer is no - your're not allowed to"reply like this" when your reply promotes your products (in any way) outside of your subforum. A link in your sig block is generally accepted. Happy reading.

As penance you must now provide 5 Norwegian jokes for our amusement.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Are there 5 Norwegian jokes?
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter