Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shibata kotetsu sg2

Shibata kotetsu sg2

SHIBATA KOTETSU SG2
    Anyone own this knife? Or used it? Whats ur experience with it?
    Im interested to invent on some, should I?
    If not, whats the way to go?

I've had both the 180mm bunka and the 240 gyuto. They are very good knives. Definitely in the laser category. Good fit and finish and for how thin the knife is there's a very decent amount of convexity. They sharpen very nicely given the steel used and hold the edge well. Mind you that the tips on these knives are delicate and of the 3 work colleagues that bought this knife I was the only one that didn't break the tip.
    If I may suggest have a look into the shinko kurokumo line from K&S. It's not much more expensive (depending on where you shop), but you get the same steel a better fit and finish, nicer handle and a gorgeous etched Damascus.
    I've owned both the kotetsu and the kurokumo at the same time and ended up selling the shibata, the kurokumo is there to stay. It's probably my second favourite knife of all the ones I've used in the past.
    http://www.knivesandstones.com/searc...query=Kurokumo

Quote Originally Posted by cain47 View Post
    I've had both the 180mm bunka and the 240 gyuto. They are very good knives. Definitely in the laser category. Good fit and finish and for how thin the knife is there's a very decent amount of convexity. They sharpen very nicely given the steel used and hold the edge well. Mind you that the tips on these knives are delicate and of the 3 work colleagues that bought this knife I was the only one that didn't break the tip.
    If I may suggest have a look into the shinko kurokumo line from K&S. It's not much more expensive (depending on where you shop), but you get the same steel a better fit and finish, nicer handle and a gorgeous etched Damascus.
    I've owned both the kotetsu and the kurokumo at the same time and ended up selling the shibata, the kurokumo is there to stay. It's probably my second favourite knife of all the ones I've used in the past.
    http://www.knivesandstones.com/searc...query=Kurokumo
    Thank you very much. Im buying from Europe, Cyprus and having a tough time realy

Or look into the takamura r2. They are excellent knives as well

Quote Originally Posted by cain47 View Post
    Or look into the takamura r2. They are excellent knives as well
    Im getting a takamura soon. I just think the looks on kotetsu are awesome. Im thinkimg that or a hap40 knife [kohetsu vs kazan]

Ive heard negative things about Kohetsu. But I’ve never tried one myself. To my surprise some of my coworkers have been asking me about them. Is this line really popular or something?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Ive heard negative things about Kohetsu. But I’ve never tried one myself. To my surprise some of my coworkers have been asking me about them. Is this line really popular or something?
    It is, at ONE place as they are pushing that product very hard.

Like here with the OP it's pushed against the Takamura. (It was the same with me a few years back) When guys ask them about the Takamura they always offer the Kohetsu as a great option. They use the stellar reputation of the Takamura to sell their inferior product instead.

Kohetsu is sold as an "exclusive" house brand which is total BS. Other vendors have sold it too under different brand names like the Kazan, Kohsay, Kashima etc. Some vendors have stopped selling it and I wonder if it's due to the quality issues?

I haven't used the Shibata Kotetsu, but there's a couple forum members that really liked theirs. I've heard only good things. Its been very often compared to the Takamura too, but it seems to be living up to that comparison!

...unlike some other knives?

Jeez just buy a Blazen then.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JaVa View Post
    It is, at ONE place as they are pushing that product very hard.

Like here with the OP it's pushed against the Takamura. (It was the same with me a few years back) When guys ask them about the Takamura they always offer the Kohetsu as a great option. They use the stellar reputation of the Takamura to sell their inferior product instead.

Kohetsu is sold as an "exclusive" house brand which is total BS. Other vendors have sold it too under different brand names like the Kazan, Kohsay, Kashima etc. Some vendors have stopped selling it and I wonder if it's due to the quality issues?

NOT the same knife. Shibata KOTetsu. Not the KOHetsu. These are what the op is about - https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/shibata-knives... Though the place you're talking about does sell the Shibata