Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masakage Cladding: Problem down the road?

Masakage Cladding: Problem down the road?

Hi,

I just received my new Masakage Koishi gyuto. When inspecting it, I noticed that at one small point near the heel of the blade, the SS cladding "touches" the blade.

Should I be worried about this? In my mind, this means that part/all of the edge at that point might be the softer cladding rather than the AS.

Here is a photo: Advice appreciated. I haven't talked to the store yet - trying to figure out if I have an issue or not.

I've never had this issue myself but it isn't something I would accept, especially not at that price point. I've seen a lot of this in pictures on some makers really high end stuff too and it bums me out.
    As a side note, if you haven't noticed that tall bevel, all the exposed cladding is bead/media blasted to appear uniform. some makers do this to hide inconsistencies in the grind. While this might not be the case at all, it's something to look out for.
    Cheers
    Matteo

Not an issue IMO. At least not something I'd care of. The AS core is still there and after first sharpening/thinning session cladding would move a bit to the top (providing there's not overgrind in this particular area)

I disagree. It's not an overgrind but unless you can be certain there is more cladding there you can be sure the core is thinner than normal.
    Without sharpening that cladding out you cannot tell how thin the core is.
    I don't think a seller will accept you grinding and thinning and then returning the blade.
    If there is still time I would return it.
    I hate to cut and run...

I don't think that it will be a problem, but it's best to speak to the vendor. I'd assume that it would work itself out with some thinning, but it's definitely best to discuss what would happen if it doesn't.

Is the blade relatively thick behind the edge?

Definitely speak with the vendor. Should not be a big problem, mine had the same problem and just like week ago after thinned the blade it just went ok 👌

I have a Koishi bunka with cladding similarly close to the edge in a spot or two. I have had it for several years and it has been through many sharpenings with no problems. I find it sharpens up just fine and has been great for home kitchen use. The cladding was not hiding a huge hole in the AS core in my case. I agree with the others above though for the price, if you don't like it talk to the vendor about an exchange or return.

I got a Koishi gyuto that had the same exact problem. I put it under magnification and it looked like the cladding was very thin. I ended up trading it, making the new owner aware of the issue. I've had a few Masakage's and they've been solid knives so I hope this isn't a common issue.

Looking very closely at the photo, I do not think the cladding reaches the edge. It gets close to the edge bevel but does not appear to extend to the edge itself.

I've seen it a bunch.

The blast finish is not to hide wobbles or grind inconsistency...it's mostly to hide scratches and provide a uniform finish customers like.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    Looking very closely at the photo, I do not think the cladding reaches the edge. It gets close to the edge bevel but does not appear to extend to the edge itself.

I've seen it a bunch.

The blast finish is not to hide wobbles or grind inconsistency...it's mostly to hide scratches and provide a uniform finish customers like.
    I concur with XooMG on this one. If you look closely you can see the white cladding line end and even some AS core steel peaking out above the bevel.

Zoomed in picture attached for easy viewing.