Quantcast
saya repair
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saya repair

saya repair

i sold a very nice yanagiba to a young chef who promised to take care of it only to find it chipped, covered in food and red rusted out months later.

i felt responsible for the state of this knife so i bought it back and in the process of fixing it back up somewhat.
    I put it in the saya only to find out a week later when i took it knife out and the knife is half rusted again that the saya is full of food.

does anyone know of a good method to clean the debris out? then i probably have to disinfect it as well.

or is it trash?

If it's just a standard Ho wood saya...burn it. If it's a plain grained hardwood saya...burn it. If it's a real nice hardwood saya I can think of a couple of ways to fix it, but they all involve a band saw. I guess my real point is that repairing it will involve about 3/4 of the work of making a new one.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

It's scrap, so you haven't anything to lose by trying to split it at the glued seam with an X-Acto knife. If you are successful, clean out the cavity and reglue it.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

thats what i figured. ill try to split it but im sure its done. thanks guys

I'm guessing the young chef in question didn't take a SaveServ course...

The use of the word 'chef' is totally inappropriate here. Even dishwashers know better than to do that.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

It's almost impossible to get a clean split on a properly glued (and prepped) joint. BUT, it's worth a try. If it splits, but not perfectly evenly, flatten the edges on granite, with some sandpaper on top of it, then re-glue it. Don't forget to clean out the glue before it dries, as well...and clean up the edges afterwards.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by milesonend View Post
    i sold a very nice yanagiba to a young chef who promised to take care of it only to find it chipped, covered in food and red rusted out months later.

i felt responsible for the state of this knife so i bought it back and in the process of fixing it back up somewhat.
    I put it in the saya only to find out a week later when i took it knife out and the knife is half rusted again that the saya is full of food.

does anyone know of a good method to clean the debris out? then i probably have to disinfect it as well.

or is it trash?
    You did the right thing buying it back.... he has committed the number 1 knife offence.
    Punishment..... 2 years chopping onions with a blunt knife.

Leave the saya under/near a heat lamp for a few days, that's guaranteed to split the glue joint... Ask me how I know
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    You did the right thing buying it back.... he has committed the number 1 knife offence.
    Punishment..... 2 years chopping onions with a blunt knife.
    i felt so bad for it.

got the saya apart, it was really gross...