Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon k sabatier in a pro kitchen

Carbon k sabatier in a pro kitchen

Curious if anyone uses this in a pro kitchen. I'm usually using Japanese gyutos at work but I was thinking about picking one of these up for giggles. It seems like they have low hrc. I'm curious how sharp they get and how often they need sharpening.

I am not working in Pro kitchen (home cook), but I have a carbon K sab. It is typically a knife to use with a honing steel. Before I cut something, I just put it on the steel one tine each side (less than 5sec altogether). I put it on the stone (wicked edge actually) twice on year at 1000. Super easy to sharpen.

zetieum is this one from modern or antique forgings?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    zetieum is this one from modern or antique forgings?
    modern

Quote Originally Posted by zetieum View Post
    modern
    How about the level of sharpness? Can we cut chives without bruising? I can definitely sharpen well, I'm curious about edge retention and how great an edge I can get.

You can get a fabulous edge on a sabatier, very fast, and the profile is perfect, but the edge won't last and it'll always be much more wedgy than a good j-knife.

Carbon k sabatier in a pro kitchen

Get a Misono Dragon for a profesional kitchen.
    Becomes easily very sharp, hardness is good for every task.
    It has 100% pure French profile, with a perfect tip.
    You will not feel that you have moved from a French to a Japanese knife.
    I prefer Masahiro Carbon metal bolster though, but you will feel strange maybe till you get used to it. At blue way Japan they describe the steel if Masahiro as ZCD-U, original carbon steel, 1,05 carbon, vanadium, tungsten, I think it is white 2, or something very very similar. I don't know which steel like more. They seem the same to me and I love them both, I think they are better than the Swedish Misono steel which I also like.

Concerning edge retention with carbons don't expect much, if you are cutting acidic foods among others as well,
    But they are my knives of preference, because if you have a stone in the kitchen, with a touch up they become top sharp in less than a minute

You will be amazed by how they cut chives

They give Masahiro 58-59 hardness and Misono 60-61, but Masahiro is harder.

Both knives have perfect hardness for every task in the kitchen, you will find chips, or consider them soft
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3

Edge retention can be greatly enhanced with a single sided micro-bevel. With soft carbons I cut them on a 2k stone. For sharpening and maintenance you can go up to 8k.

imgurl

Or consider a Herder 1922 chef's, Rc 60. Profile is very close to the French, tip is even lower than with most modern French blades. Grinding is much more consistent.

Yeah, I have a million j knives. I only wanted one of these for fun. Howeevr if they can't really hold it in professional kitchens I'll probably try something else