Page 106 of 367 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 3663

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Come over to the other single bevel side . . .
    heh, i have a Yoshihiro white 2 300mm yanagi, but it had some grind issues and was the first single-bevel i ever sharpened, so it'll never really be good. i think i'd go with a 270, for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    AS some of you know I am a hopeless Japanese carbon steel junkie.When I saw the Yoshimitsu Tatara forged Tamahagane steel knives being folded many times & wt. clay forming a true Hamon on a PBS show.I researched these kitchen knives,the best price by far was in my own backyard at A-Frames.I bought a Aritsugu 270 Blue steel Yanagi fr. Takeshi about 5 yrs. ago.He was in Japan when I tried to contact him,when he came back,I checked the Yoshimitsu out & bought it.The brothers that forge the Tamahagane have many yrs. of skill & use the steel for high end limited production Kitchen knives.Most Tamahagane is used for swords,small amount for KIt. knives.

Some Veg. prep.using a razor sharp Tamahagane Yoshimitsu,I took it to a 8K edge & stropped it on leather.Brings out the true Hamon.Takeshi says this steel is in a class of it's own & has great edge holding.I paid 365.00 for it,admit I bought it because of the lore of the forging tech.,rareness,& the steel itself.The blade is very lite & flys thu food.I usually let my carbons patina,but this blade I wash & dry well & use my sword kit to polish it & use clove oil.
    the OCD in me justs wants to wipe the food off that blade before it patinas! nice knife BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Did you thin & etch that yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmalak View Post
    Yes I did. It is very rudimentary and will eventually be coming to you for a proper job once the funds are saved.

I want you to know that I was asking only to confirm your efforts which I find amazing - congrats on the work!

Quote Originally Posted by vai777 View Post
    nice handle....looks like a cross between the Hattori forum knives and Phil Wilson's stuff.
    its one of the best handles I've ever used. It's one of those where you pick it up and just say "ahhh" and then, after a few hours, you still say "ahh"
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I want you to know that I was asking only to confirm your efforts which I find amazing - congrats on the work!
    Wow! Thank you! That's very kind of you. I'm happy with it so far.

I'm with Dave. It looks clean and really well done!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    its one of the best handles I've ever used. It's one of those where you pick it up and just say "ahhh" and then, after a few hours, you still say "ahh"
    Justin, that knife is absolutely gorgeous!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    AS some of you know I am a hopeless Japanese carbon steel junkie.When I saw the Yoshimitsu Tatara forged Tamahagane steel knives being folded many times & wt. clay forming a true Hamon on a PBS show.I researched these kitchen knives,the best price by far was in my own backyard at A-Frames.I bought a Aritsugu 270 Blue steel Yanagi fr. Takeshi about 5 yrs. ago.He was in Japan when I tried to contact him,when he came back,I checked the Yoshimitsu out & bought it.The brothers that forge the Tamahagane have many yrs. of skill & use the steel for high end limited production Kitchen knives.Most Tamahagane is used for swords,small amount for KIt. knives.

Some Veg. prep.using a razor sharp Tamahagane Yoshimitsu,I took it to a 8K edge & stropped it on leather.Brings out the true Hamon.Takeshi says this steel is in a class of it's own & has great edge holding.I paid 365.00 for it,admit I bought it because of the lore of the forging tech.,rareness,& the steel itself.The blade is very lite & flys thu food.I usually let my carbons patina,but this blade I wash & dry well & use my sword kit to polish it & use clove oil.
    can you tell us more about that knife?

Because Hawaii has a large Japanese population our PBS station has alot of programs about Japan.This show was about these 4 brothers in their 80's forging Tamahagane & it showed the process of making a blade like the one I bought.The blade itself has little imperfections,a few tiny pits,expected in a pounded & folded custom Tamahagani blade.I do not mind this,to me it gives the blade character.

If you go on A-Frames Santoku link the 175mm Yoshimitsu is the blade I bought it has pictures.It actually is about 180mm.Not typical Santoku similar to one of Stepan's small Carters.Very thin behind the edge,assem. to the right.It came wt. a page of authen. in Japanese,I cannot read Japanese,so I had a friend translate it for me.Takeshi gives info. on the blade site

Itinomonn cleaver (on the way)
    custom handle by Max.