Page 214 of 356 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 3555

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

What's the wood on the Rader. It's beautiful. Then again so all of his.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Well, I got some money for my birthday, and a single Henckels Kramer 52100 showed up on Amazon for $320 shipped, NIB, so I guess that's my latest buy. Anybody want to know how it compares to Heiji and Kagekiyo?

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Well, I got some money for my birthday, and a single Henckels Kramer 52100 showed up on Amazon for $320 shipped, NIB, so I guess that's my latest buy. Anybody want to know how it compares to Heiji and Kagekiyo?
    Do tell!
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Once I get the new knife, I'll review it.

Name:  DSC_0269_zpsb63ccc30.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  18.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_0270_zpsa74a5830.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  15.3 KB

Shig 240 kasumi with custom handle. Picked it up from that site for pretty cheap. I was kinda worried that they had somehow managed to buy seconds or cut corners somewhere, kinda unusual to see a Shigefusa cheap, it's not like they're hard to sell.

I haven't cut anything with it yet and I haven't used a Shig gyuto before so I can't compare it to anything, but it looks solid enough. Beautiful taper, great F+F, stupid thin behind the edge nicely rounded (although I reckon the mioroshi and usuba I previous had had a better finish on the spine and choil. Perhaps it just stood out more on the heavier knives)

Surprisingly light. I just assumed shig gyutos would feel mighty, but this guy only weighs around 180g which makes it the lightest gyuto I own by a long shot.

Custom handle is nice, although maybe a touch small for my hands; personally I'd prefer the original shig handle. I assume Mark was able to keep the prices down on this first run (the 240 is now listed at $520, although sold out) by buying them without handles, sayas and boxes; mine arrived in a richmond branded box, not that it matters.

180g is pretty lite for a 240 Shig. The lightest one I've owned was 196g and I assume the stabilised handle is heavier than the Standard Ho?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Perhaps. It does feel small for the knife and the balance is pretty far forward so it's probably safe to say the the handles aren't made specifically for the knife.

Edit: Sorry, misread the last post. I'm assuming that the custom handle is lighter than Shigefusa's stock ho wood handle.

That's a nice pick up, Josh. My kitaeji 240 with normal ho handle weighs in at 213, and kasumi 240 yo handle at 255, so yours is pretty light.

I was wondering about this Shigs he had listed. They were down right cheap on the pricing. Love to hear more about em!

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Yes, very much so in fact