Quantcast
Show your newest knife buy - Page 280
+ Reply to Thread
Page 280 of 315 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 3145

Thread: Show your newest knife buy

A few recent additions. That's it for awhile. Can't fit anything more in my "Don't touch my $'&@%* knives" drawer.

I love that Carter!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I miss it already...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Money well spent on that Carter. Freaking deal of the century practically!

Carter is sexy hows it perform ive always been tempted to try a carter

I haven't had it that long. NO ChoP can speak to it more than I can. But at 1/3 less weight yet 15mm longer compared to my western-handled Masamoto it feels quite nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Here's a new knife made by an American blade smith named Salem Straub. I first learned of his work through another forum and admired not only his craftsmanship but also his philosophy on knife making. He only makes the type of blades that personally interest him, knives that inspire him to take his craft to the next level, which means he typically doesn't taken commissions. I happened to catch him at the right time since he was having fun forging chef knives. I had seen a design of his that caught my eye, and I had seen some of his other work specifically with W2 and hamons. I contacted Mr. Straub and found out he was still very much interested in making gyutos so I told him to make one for me. I let him choose all of the options, steel, handle materials and finish, I had only requested a french profile.

Here's the result
    W2 with hamon
    Black Ash burl handle with Micarta bolster
    Speaking from an aesthetic point of view, the knife's craftsmanship is 100% spot on. I have not had a chance to use the knife yet so function is still up in the air, and the handle requires a very minor adjustment to my style of pinch grip, which might not effect others.

That's interesting enough that I'd love to try one (especially since my super thinned out Z-K is my go to knife most days). The low hamon at the heel suggests that it ain't gonna last 20 years, though.

Nice blade Pete W2 lends itself well to Hamons.Check out Jesus Hernandez swords. He uses W2 a lot & has some very nice hamons on Katana, & Short Swords.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    That's interesting enough that I'd love to try one (especially since my super thinned out Z-K is my go to knife most days). The low hamon at the heel suggests that it ain't gonna last 20 years, though.
    This is true, I noticed the very same thing with the hamon. I had the chance to use it last night for some quick prep, chopped some herbs, garlic and shallot and she did just fine. I'm interested to try it on some larger root vegetables to see if she wedges or not as well as how food sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Nice blade Pete W2 lends itself well to Hamons.Check out Jesus Hernandez swords. He uses W2 a lot & has some very nice hamons on Katana, & Short Swords.
    I've seen a few videos of Jesus Hernandez's work, definitely a bad ass.

+ Reply to Thread