Quantcast
Hide's Export - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hide's Export

Nice.

How much thinner was your knife versus the regular knives produced by Shigefusa? Did the thinner blade make it less stiff? Does the knife have any flex?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Nice.

How much thinner was your knife versus the regular knives produced by Shigefusa? Did the thinner blade make it less stiff? Does the knife have any flex?
    no flex at all, still stiff exactly how I like them.
    standar Shigefusa is 3.9mm above heel. 2.1-2.4 mm half way to tip, <1.5mm 1 cm to tip.
    Mine is 3.6mm above heel, 1.8mm half way , 0.8mm 1 cm to tip, 244 mm cutting edge, exactly 200g.

Very nice knife. I often wonder what a perfect weight would be and you explained it well. Beautiful in it's simplicity and I'm glad it works well for you.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    no flex at all, still stiff exactly how I like them.
    standar Shigefusa is 3.9mm above heel. 2.1-2.4 mm half way to tip, <1.5mm 1 cm to tip.
    Mine is 3.6mm above heel, 1.8mm half way , 0.8mm 1 cm to tip, 244 mm cutting edge, exactly 200g.
    That's sounds like an awesome knife. I also don't like flexible blades, especially at the tip.

I never knew that Shigefusa gyutos were so thick at the heel. I would believe that this makes them great choppers when using the heel of the blade, but the thinness and stiffness at the tip would make them also great for detailed cutting with the tip of the blade.

I think I'm going to have to start saving up for one of these.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    That's sounds like an awesome knife. I also don't like flexible blades, especially at the tip.

I never knew that Shigefusa gyutos were so thick at the heel. I would believe that this makes them great choppers when using the heel of the blade, but the thinness and stiffness at the tip would make them also great for detailed cutting with the tip of the blade.

I think I'm going to have to start saving up for one of these.
    the heel is thick but the knife tapers very nicely towards the tip. Also the geometry is superb and the knife is as thin as any laser type gyuto behind the edge but somehow cuts better in my experience.

Where can I find DrNakas Jnats?
    Or doesnt he sell jnats?

DrNaka: cool blog

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Where can I find DrNakas Jnats?
    Or doesnt he sell jnats?

DrNaka: cool blog
    Just ask him if he can find you what you need.