Help choosing "first" kitchen knives!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diablo2man

Reaction score
I randomly visited this place almost before I made an order about shun premier chef knife and feel like entering another world :) could you help me find the knife suit me best? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Gyuto or Santoku as main knife, and paring for utility purpose

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Kind of shame to say my previous knives are $40 ginsu set from Amazon. Throw them away when I move to current place and try to build a new kitchen set from scratch

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?

except the price, everything is not right

What grip do you use?

Pinch Grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Push-Cut, slice

Where do you store them?

magnetic rack

Have you ever oiled a handle?

no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

need to choose one. anything good with $50 range?

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

nothing now. i will try to learn sharping by myself but if possible I want as little maintenance as it could

Have they ever been sharpened?

nothing now.

What is your budget?

one main knife and one utility, $200
cutting board, $50
maintenance tools, not sure ($70?)

What do you cook and how often?

3 times a week

Welcome! Plenty of things in your price range and sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you would like. Couple more questions though...
1. stainless or carbon? guessing stainless as you were looking at shuns, so also guessing western style handle?
2. for vendor recommendations, are you in the states?
Cheers and good luck!

I'm assuming U.S. since he's a Ginsu guy and he's new so stainless is probably a better option. You want western handle or wa handle? On the board, anything wood (not so much bamboo) should be decent and you need a 1-3k stone. In order of what I'd probably get for a new guy myself, Bester 1.2k, Gesshin 2k, Sigma Select II 1.2k or for splash n go Gesshin 1k or a Chosera 1k.

Welcome! Plenty of things in your price range and sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you would like. Couple more questions though...
1. stainless or carbon? guessing stainless as you were looking at shuns, so also guessing western style handle?
2. for vendor recommendations, are you in the states?
Cheers and good luck!

Thanks!

1. not sure what the different is. i think most knives I saw are stainless, right? Also, the wa handles are fine too since I'm originally from asia (not japan though).
2. I'm in NYC area.

I'm assuming U.S. since he's a Ginsu guy and he's new so stainless is probably a better option. You want western handle or wa handle? On the board, anything wood (not so much bamboo) should be decent and you need a 1-3k stone. In order of what I'd probably get for a new guy myself, Bester 1.2k, Gesshin 2k, Sigma Select II 1.2k or for splash n go Gesshin 1k or a Chosera 1k.

Thanks. I'm in US. Both western handle and wa handle are fine but I think I prefer latter since it is more authentic.

Is there any reason that bamboo is not good? since my friend gives me this today as gift http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TE2GPU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

I haven't done research on sharping but it splash n go an easier solution for guys? (assuming xx and go is term for convenient thing lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
"splash and go" means that the waterstone doesn't need to be soaked for any real length of time before you can use it well. Most soaking style stones should be soaked at least 10-15 minutes before using them. As a home cook, you probably won't be sharpening all that often so I don't mind the wait.

Nice beginner stainless with wa handle sounds like Yoshiro/Gesshin Uraku 240mm Wa-Gyuto. And maybe a Fujiwara FKM 120mm petty for your paring/utility knife.

"splash and go" means that the waterstone doesn't need to be soaked for any real length of time before you can use it well. Most soaking style stones should be soaked at least 10-15 minutes before using them. As a home cook, you probably won't be sharpening all that often so I don't mind the wait.

Nice beginner stainless with wa handle sounds like Yoshiro/Gesshin Uraku 240mm Wa-Gyuto. And maybe a Fujiwara FKM 120mm petty for your paring/utility knife.

Thanks! any places I can buy them both? I see the first one in JKI and the latter one in JCK.

Those are the two places I'd recommend. You could always grab the gyuto and a stone from JKI and wait a while on the petty. Or maybe have a look around JCK and see if you can't grab both of your knives from there. Keep in mind shipping from JCK is only $7 flat rate, so it shouldn't be a huge difference than buying everything from one place.

Back