How to fix scratches on blade surface? A counsel is needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggg16902002

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A few days ago I received a custom Kintaro Ame Kensaki Yanagiba 300mm (Aogami2 steel), with a Phoenix engraving made by Shinichi Watanabe.
It's a stunning knife, the damascus pattern is amazing.
But there is a flaw. I found that there are a few scratches along the blade surface (they are not deep), maybe as a result of the engraving process.
Is there a way to fix it and to eliminate the scratches without damaging the blade surface.
I would appreciate a counsel.

Regards,
G. Souli

Pictures! So we can uhh... assess the situation.

I wonder if trying a set of fingerstones is the way to go here. I'll let someone who knows what theyre doing tell you for sure, though.

pictures please. But if they are very fine, I'd stick to something like Cape Cod polish if the rest of the surface is a mirror shine. If the surface of the blade is not mirror-shiny, then you will find it pretty difficult to polish out scratches while keeping the treated surface looking identical to the rest of a kasumi finish.

You can send it to me for uhhh repairs. Yeah that's it! I'll take care of it for ya!

Seriously though, the only way to remove the scratches is to scratch it some more. And what you do to one side you have to do to the other in order to keep an even appearance.

Pictures would help. If the scratches are near the engraving, it may not be easy or possible to remove the scratches without ruining the engraving.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your counsel.
What about using 3M Sponge Sanding Pad Micro Fine and polishing cotton nevr-dull.
Will it help?

G. Souli

Without pictures, it is impossible to say for sure. I would caution against using something very easy to deform so you don't round over the shinogi. Maybe use a wood block with a thin layer of rubber and some sandpaper on top of that. Start with higher grit and see if it does anything and go lower as needed. You would probably need to do the whole upper face of the blade and then repolish your bevel on stones, if you want it to look right.

Back