help me find set of nice knives for home users

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
It is a gift, so it must be a set[packed in one box]. It can be 2-3 knives, or 6, doesnt really matter how many, within 300 bucks budget.

Must be stainless, preferably "damascus". It is not for me, s Im trying to think like those who will receive it!

I found this shun set with paring, petit and chefs knife, for 300 bucks. I think for vg10 its not too bad at all.

Is there any other, better deal I could get on some amazon or something?

Thanks a lot!

Okay, I will probably get some flack for saying it, but I have been using a Warther chef knife recently and enjoying it. It is stainless (cpms35vn). So far it is working out better than vg10 for me. It is taking a steeper angle and holding it well. Fit and finish is not 100%, some gaps between the scales and tang, but probably not noticeable to most. The spine and choil were sharp OOTB, but 5 min with some sandpaper fixed that.

Overall it is a pretty good value, and I think would make good gift sets. http://www.warthercutlery.com/individual-knives-2.html

Deckhand, Funny, that is the same pairing knife I got for my five and six year old girls. so they can chop chop along side daddy. Although i've tried to explain to them that they can push cut with the thing, thats all they like to do. Like you daddy they say. sometime the food gets crushed, works pretty well for slicing cucumber and mushrooms.

Deckhand, Funny, that is the same pairing knife I got for my five and six year old girls. so they can chop chop along side daddy. Although i've tried to explain to them that they can push cut with the thing, thats all they like to do. Like you daddy they say. sometime the food gets crushed, works pretty well for slicing cucumber and mushrooms.
That is a cute story. They are good knives. My 7 and 5 year old girls love to help me cook. I let them chop with the Kyocera. Light and manageable for them.

I think this 2 knife set from Cutlery and More would make a pretty nice gift, Miyabi 7000 MC.

The cutting steel is ZDP-189 wrapped in SS. The price is well within your budget and leaves plenty of room for shipping and any custom or duty fees.

thanks for all the advice :)

I was misuderstood - it is going to folks who, if they have one, will definitely have no problem putting their knives to dishwasher. Not wiping them will be a standard and tip lost regularly.

Thats why I thought of Shun basically :D

The man has a whole secret menu like In-N-Out.

What does an animal style gyuto look like? ^_^

I was misuderstood - it is going to folks who, if they have one, will definitely have no problem putting their knives to dishwasher. Not wiping them will be a standard and tip lost regularly.

I would not buy 300 dollar knife sets (of 2 or 3 knives) for anyone who wants to put their knives in a dishwasher. They do not deserve to use quality instruments, as they will destroy any quality knife within weeks. Victorinox-Forschner for them -- and no knocks to Victorinox --- a functional economical knife that is designed for total abuse.

The Shuns will die in a dishwasher. I know because my sister killed one.

Ashi or victorinox is not an optiion.

What about something like wusthof ikon?

What about something like wusthof ikon?

Knives should not be put in a dishwasher. The only knives that might be serviceable are cheap Victorinox serrated ones that you won't feel bad throwing away. People who want to put their knives in a dishwasher deserve to use cheap knives.

I dont say It will happen all that often or all the time, if I tell them not to do it, maybe after really heavy parties :D

I just thought It would be better starting point with some vg 10? Or maybe molybdenum vanadium would be better...

It wont rust if its not washed right away.

VG-10 is an interesting option. It looses its initial sharpness very quickly, but the remaining sharpness is still impressive to non-knife knuts and will stay almost forever. Do you know the monosteel VG-10 by JCK Kagayaki?

ikea vg-10 chef knife if its going in a dishwasher

Back