What's On Your List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitonboy

Reaction score
As posted by Crothcipt on 7-30-2012:

"Ty for your response, I had put these knives on the back of the list. But, now they have moved up quite a bit."

Which got me to wondering: What is on you list?

My current list::

Marko guyto, suji, petty
Heiji, possible kurochi damascus
Yoshikane SLD
Jin Yanagiba
(Honyaki-constructed knife)Brand/type TBA

I also think if we had a running tally of knives that we felt we could part with others might be able to use to satisfy their objects of desire

I have cancelled most my custom orders, with the exception of those whose lists I have been on the longest, or those already in the works. Baby on the way means knife money=diaper money. Regardless, I have had my go to's for awhile and had planned a sell off of everything else at some point anyway.

Heiji or gengetsu semi stainless... gesshin hide yanagiba or usuba or deba.

After my Martell gyuto is done I won't NEED anything; that said, I would love to have a good yanagiba and deba or a mioroshi deba. Those are very long term thoughts though; I got bills to pay!

Since it is not yet paid for one of the new Ohiras from Maksim, then one of the Kato knives...and then, then man it never ends it looks like.

Marko Gyuto (in the works)

Mario Gyuto or suji ( one day)

Mike Davis deba ( being tested)

Heiji or gesshin ino Gyuto (one day)

My kit is coming together quite nicely, but I have just a couple more underway.

So far what has been ordered are:
Shigefusa cleaver and a Yoshikane Usuba.

What I see down the road:

A Masamoto HS Honyaki Yanagi.
A Kiritsuke and a Fugubiki will also be added to the collection down the road.
I will order them from one of the many fine knifemakers in Japan, but what maker is something I need to research more before deciding upon.

On order: Rodrigue mid-tech chinese cleaver (hopefully not too far away) and a Mizuno stainless cleaver (hopefully will arrive this morning)

What I'd like to add down the line?
A #7 cleaver of some sort, probably sugimoto, but have also have been looking at Ashi's offerings.
Would like to check out Takeda, Saji and Tadatsuna, but at the moment, I'm in no hurry. Spent way to much on knives this year.

Other than that, the basics to try some handles.

Cheers,
Josh

Incoming:

Marko Gyuto
Marko Suji
Shig Usuba
Shig Petty

Wish List

Masamoto Ao-Ko mirror finished Honyaki Yanagiba
Custom Gesshin Hide White Steel Honyaki Yanagiba, ebony handle, nickel spacer...similar to the one Jon showed in June...but RIGHT handed!
Something new from Gengetsu...c'mon Jon!
Rehandled Murray Carter mirror finish Funayuki for my wife :D

I have yet to write down what I want. I kinda have a influx of cash coming (second job), and have yet to make a list of want. I have been looking at need for work. Just bought a mizuno from pesky for work (can we say up grade?).

The easy bake oven is not working good enough??:D

It's working fine, but why stop there? :)
Salts are much faster to get to temp and to quench in. Oven takes forever to heat.
For stainless steels, I would still use oven, as working with molted salts at 2000F can be a little intimidating.

I have cancelled most my custom orders, with the exception of those whose lists I have been on the longest, or those already in the works. Baby on the way means knife money=diaper money. Regardless, I have had my go to's for awhile and had planned a sell off of everything else at some point anyway.

It's funny how impending births have that affect on disposable income. I am in the same boat with baby on the way and my wife stopping working, the disposable income has been decreased significantly. I am still hoping to get a couple in the next year though. I have a fund already started for a Burke. My short list after that is Marko, Mario and Rader. Some of that depends on if I can sell one of my motorcycles.

It's funny how we are all in the same boat with this hobby/obsession. My want list is pretty much what Namaxy has listed as incoming, so I figure on burglarizing his house in about six months. And like DeepCSwede, I am selling my watches to finance knives.

Maybe you can post on this BBS when you are selling some watches. I'd like to pick up a nice one that can withstand 'everyday use'.

I'm on three custom lists right now, for a ss damascus petty (for the wife), a carbon gyuto and a san mai or monosteel suji. Should have one in a couple months, the second in ~6 months and the thrid in another 1 - 1-1/2 years.

Upcoming: handle upgrade for my nakiri.

Wish list: Rader gyuto, Marko petty, Harner straight razor.

Back