News

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok i need to start somewhere :O
I have many emails to reply, ship many packages and many new products to add.
Also i will send some Shigefusa emails for those who is signed in :D

I will make brief post on what its coming i will add many of those products slowly to my store.

First of all Red Aotos is in stock now with 140 Atomas !!!

Also i got more hors hide razor strops for razor lovers :D

Tise 2 stones Yaginoshima and Ohira will be very cheap in the store soon !!

IMGP4059.jpg

IMGP4070.jpg

As you know i run out of all my Ohira white range suitas :( and have to get more from Ohira owner.
So this time I got new batch of Ohira Yellow Range suitas they are more expensive this time but well worth it. I got total about 14 and first 4 is sold.
They have bit more buttery feeling then White suitas i sold and bit softer but stil Lv 3 or 3,5. And very fine

Next time i have to get them they will be even more expensive :( As i choose only the best and finest ones !!
But still price is very cheap compared to other retailers in Japan !

Here wher we get them :D

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

From this picture only 1 will make it on website, i will post it as soon as possible.

IMGP4065.jpg

IMGP4064.jpg

Huge Atagoyama Nashiji will come up soon too !

IMGP4076.jpg

Here is most exceeding news, Finally i am ready to announce Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato)
I was testing this knives very long time now some of the members here too :wink:

They are super special knives !! All started with that i asked my source about some knife maker that is similar to Shigefusa and even maybe better.
He very quickly recommended me Kato as he think his steel is one of the best and his process of making is still all by hand even maybe more then Shig.
I ask him to send me some prototypes pettys and gyutos for test. Price was about Shigefusas but when i got them i thought wow what a crapy knives !!! I was very disappointed specially for the price !!
FF was crap they was super thick more like half debas and they was just ugly.
Then i cut with one and wow i changed my mind very quickly then i sharpen it and cut again wow man i thought it was impossible that that thick knife can cut so well !! Well it was thick and why not cut some chickin with it and i did not chip i was beginning to think i am quite crazy it cuts like lazier but at same time can chop some bones and not chip and it also got super sharp and holds its edge forever :scared4:

Anyway i thought it was something wrong with me because how can i sell a knife that is uglier and thicker then Shig for more price. So i sold my first batch to my wholesale price to some test persons.
They all came with same results as me. Then i did Sharpening class in June and people was as surprised as me, at the end of the event they came and told me what is that crap lying on the table then i told them try to cut with them !! And they was all sold. I hope some of them will comment here :D

They have very very unique grind and steel on them is very hard they feel like Kasumi Honyaki knives and stile sharpens very nicely (steel is secret BTW :) but it is full carbon laminated

After that i reconsidered these knives and made some changes! We rounded the spine and choil and made them bit thinner but still with same grind and put our own kanji on back side that translates "WORKHORSE"
As it is only made for me that way :D

They will be more expensive then Shigefusa but will also preform better i think !

I will add these knives as soon i get some burn chestnut handles on them :D

IMGP4089.jpg

IMGP4091.jpg

IMGP4092.jpg

IMGP4093.jpg

IMGP4094.jpg

I also got some project for my self some Yoshikane SKD Western that i will need to make some handles for 240mm and 210mm they are quite good deal i love these knives for normal home daly use.

IMGP4098.jpg

IMGP4099.jpg

Thats it for now there will be much more later this week and next week i have a lot new stuff coming in.

Remember i will be quite slow on my emails and packages as i am totally behind everything :( Sorry for that !

Cool stuff, Maxim. Looking forward to reviews of the knives.

Please tell me, that one of those Katos is mine??!!??!!

I was the guy back in june, that asked Maxim whats that crap laying on the table. :surrendar:
I was wrong twice back in the class about knives. But this was very very big mistake to judge the book by the cover, so to speak.

It is amazing knife.
We have been talking about it, and yes, it is better than Shigefusa. Sharpens very easily, gets very sharp and cuts hehe funny way?

Its like your brain cannot really comprehend that, because you just think its going to miserably wedge potato or carrot, or get stuck in onion [like some knives like to do, huh? :rofl2:], but ITS NOT!
I know it comes easy to some people here to claim knives flying through food, please try this knife first.

If you own a Shig, add 20 % to the performance, and better steel. And better grind.
And not at all reactive cladding.
I actually had hard time believing its not stainless. No reaaction to any food we tried to cut whatsoever.

This knife is a shocker, let me assure you.

I was one of the lucky ones to actually snatch one of those at the meet in June.

It is, as bieniek states, a very good knife.

This thing came with a really nice edge, and subsequent honing of it has indeed proven to be a very doable task for me.
I've been using it as my primary tool in the kitchen since then, and it holds the edge well, my own honing of it was to evaluate how it did on my hones.
The grind on it is not quite symmetrical, a bit biased for a right hander, but it really is nothing I notice in my everyday use of it.

Wether or not it is better than a Shigefusa, or are made with a better steel, is not for me to say.
All I can say about that is that I thoroughly enjoy both makers.

It has started to develop a bit of a patina, nothing that stains or taints too much as of yet, but about on par with my Shigefusa, I'd say.

Part of the reason might be, You dont own shig chefs knife, yet ;)

The chefs knife I have [Shig] would get stained after slicing one onion.

Last edited:
Part of the reason might be, You dont own shig chefs knife, yet ;)

The chefs knife I have [Shig] would get stained after slicing one onion.

As in a Gyoto you mean?
Well, true, but I would think my Suji Shig would be of much the same steel as their Gyoto..
Don't you?

Yes. The steel is most propably same.

But due to shape the use of blade is different.

But so you say yours doesnt stain that much? :d

I will say i still love all my Shigs and still will buy them, they are masterpieces all of them polish, FF and performance is balanced very well :D

But Kato is just Workhorse very stiff and hard knife i am not afraid to use it on anything it is masterpiece in its own way, but not a beauty like Shig.

I'm the other lucky SOB that snatched one of these at Marienlyst. And like Bieniek wrote: "very very big mistake to judge the book by the cover"

I have had some reaction after just one onion with my Kato, this was in the end of june and I guess that some onions are just to agressive up here where I live.

No foul smell with cabbage(do one or two heads per day at work), have to dip my nose at the blade to even feel something that resembles a reaction.

Swedish turnip, was reactive with that one... but that was with a freshly polished blade face.

So when it come to cutting, the knife is just fantastic... she's a fat girl that dances like a ballerina.
I don't even think I have used another chef knife in my kitchen since i got it(not counting the day i rehandled it and the epoxy was setting)

This is great knife that i hope many other knife nuts will have the pleasure to enjoy. :)

Hey !! where is the pictures of rehandle :hungry:

Yes. The steel is most propably same.

But due to shape the use of blade is different.

But so you say yours doesnt stain that much? :d

Yes my friend, that is exactly what I'm saying:)

Then again, unlike you, I sure ain't no pro, and my knives see far less use than yours do.

I'd love to see a good choil shot on one of these. Just how porky are they?

Very cool !!! What is the bolster material ??

kato240.jpg

If anyone feels like this is against forum rules etc please remove the picture, but I find it relevant to the discussion. :)

Some pics of bienieks 270mm Gyuto

IMGP4116.jpg

Choil is file finished not polished like Shigs but rounded very nicely

IMGP4117.jpg

Spine is very nice finished rounded and polished perfectly !!

IMGP4122.jpg

IMGP4127.jpg

IMGP4129.jpg

IMGP4131.jpg

IMGP4132.jpg

IMGP4143.jpg

just dont believe that it cuts better than the Shigefusa =)

but i agree about need careful handling with Shige
and sometimes it make strains..

really, looks strong..

and i think this heavy Gyuto can replace Deba knife for salmon fileting

You should try first :)
I have no intention of lying to anyone, I actually maybe will do passaround, for all those who think the thinner the knife the better it cuts.

If this knife is worse than shig, Why would I buy it? :)

I think It will make brunoise just as good/even better that shig.

I must admit i had also very difficult to believe that so thick knife can cut so well, thats why i tested it so long time before even of thinking to start selling it. But after many people agreed with me i decided to do it :D

please add "Approx.. measurements:" for Yoshiaki Fujiwara )

I will add them as soon as i take pictures and put some handles on all :)

Reminds me of the Gesshin Hide gyuto. I'm not smart enough to say if the grinds are similar based on memory, but I know that one is also a fat knife that's thin behind the edge and cuts amazingly well.

Back