Good sturdy sharp 9 inch gyuto for professional use?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
I have been using the Miyabi 7000MC and have liked its heft and sturdiness. Does anyone know of a similar knife around 150 bucks? Thanks!

not too many PM knives for 150 bucks. that is a hard one.

You could get the Miyabi Kaizen for $150 if you like the feel of the knife shape, but can sacrifice for the steel. Otherwise the $180 isn't too much more to throw at the 7000mcd?

Try to define what you mean by sturdy. There are a fair number of great knives at the $200 price point, but $150 limits you quite a bit.
I'd look at something second-hand, and try to hit the $200 mark. Or...call Jon :)

Yup, he's kinda like Yoda, but better looking and he only sometimes speaks in that creepy backwards manner.

when do i speak in a creepy backwards manner? I've been accused of having a foul mouth (comes with years of working in kitchens), but yoda voice... thats a first :razz:

I agree with Lefty. $200 is a nice target and opens a lot of doors. I bought my Miyabi 7000MC 9.5inch chef's knife for $180, but I think that was the 'discontinued' price. It was a screaming deal, and it took quite some time even on my Edge Pro to thin the edge to what I wanted. I wouldn't use it in a professional kitchen because it's too brittle to withstand the abuse. Getting rid of even small chips takes a lot of time.

There are some amazing high performance knives that are just made for use in a busy professional kitchen at a low cost. The one that comes to mind is the Artifex which comes below the 100 dollar price point. I've now given away two (they were actually begged away from me by people without knife knowledge after they were awed by what a sharp thin knife could do) and have purchased a third for guest use.

when do i speak in a creepy backwards manner? I've been accused of having a foul mouth (comes with years of working in kitchens), but yoda voice... thats a first :razz:

Hahaha. Likely after a few ryes(?)

Latest posts

Back