NC(chuka)D!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Just ran down to the post office to collect my new toy.

A Mizuno Tanrenjo stainless #6 cleaver from Koki at JCK. Literally just got it about 30mins ago so I've only taken a few pics and inspected it.

Super thin with a modest full taper on the spine, paper thin behind the edge. Just shaves arm hair ootb, not that that's important, weights 473g with balance about 2 1/2'' front of handle. Handle is rosewood (I think) and actually really surprised me. I didn't contact Koki prior to ordering about the handles, as I figured Mizuno handles were pretty **** anyway and I'm planning to rehandle it. On the contrary though, the handle is pretty much perfect (at the moment); no gaps, nicely rounded, rivets are flush and have no gaps around them.

So far I'm excited to start using it and seeing how it sharpens up. I'll post a review further down the line. In the mean time, here's some pics
IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg
IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

Cheers,
Josh

Sweet! I am interested in knowing what you think of the cleaver...

What kid of handle are you thinking on putting on it? :D

Im curious... Why did you go with stainless?

Congratulations on the purchase!

Wow! It is super thin behind the edge.

What kid of handle are you thinking on putting on it?

Im curious... Why did you go with stainless?

Thinking I'll keep the shape of the handle, just a little more rounded with some nicer wood. I've got some goodies coming from Mark at Burl Source so once I've had a few practice goes on my cheap knives I'll try this one. Maybe a month or so down the line when I feel confident, maybe longer if I happen to suck at wood working :whistling:

I wasn't particularly after stainless, just wanted to try a steel I haven't tried before and it seems the majority of carbon cleavers are white steel which I've already tried, or blue steel in takeda and Moritaka, but I'm not entirely convinced Takeda's chukabocho is worth $550 (plus shipping) and I'm not quite ready to gamble with Moritaka. I'll admit, I generally do prefer carbon for an aesthetic reason, I just didn't see anything that made me think ''I must buy that''. I've been keen to try the Mizuno for quite some time though so it seemed the obvious choice :knife:

Cheers,
Josh

Good choice! Ive been looking at those as well! As to the handle, keeping the shape is also the way I would go!

Regards :doublethumbsup:

Congratulations!!! Such an amazing knife!

You won´t be dissapointed. It is a fantastic knife, almost perfect if you ask me. I have had it for a few years now and I couldn´t be happier. If something wrong would ever happens to mine I would email Koki in a matter of minutes to buy another one.

Mine is a bit lighter than yours (443 grams). I have to say that I asked Koki to look for a special light one and I had to wait a while to finally have it.

Don´t know which steel is but although I am not good at sharpening (I use the edge pro system with choseras) I can get it insanely sharp and it seems to hold the edge well, at least for a home cook´s point of view.

Please tell us how you get on wit it.

Regards

Back