Quantcast
Duck confit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duck confit

Ok, tried again. This time I used a Thomas Keller recipe (9 hours at 190 degrees). They're in the fridge now, but they certainly seemed pretty nice coming out of the oven, too.

Looking forward to hearing your results! I only have Kellers French Laundry book but couldn't find a duck confit recipe in there. What are his main points that have not been mentioned here so far? There was something about not using too much salt?

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Anyone know how many times you can re-use duck fat before tossing it? Once used, we strain it re-freeze and usually there's a layer of fat and a thinner layer of darker brown.
    Once hardened I just scrape the brown layer off of the bottom and continue to reuse until it becomes too salty. That used to be twice, but I learned to rinse the herb brine away really well before cooking and that gave me a couple more uses out of the fat.

Now I sous vide mine with 2 legs/thighs per pouch and add just 1 Tbsp extra fat to each. It's much easier to throw that small amount out after each use
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter01 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your results! I only have Kellers French Laundry book but couldn't find a duck confit recipe in there. What are his main points that have not been mentioned here so far? There was something about not using too much salt?
    I think the main difference was the slower cooking. The Collicchio recipe I had found online only asked me to cook it for 2-3 hours at 325 or something like that. The Keller recipe has you cook the legs for 8-10 hours at 190 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter01 View Post
    It's in the Bouchon cookbook. I've used it in the past with good success, though now I sous vide. Related to that, the brussels sprouts recipe that he serves the confit with is an all time favorite. I use variations of it all the time, not just with duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    It's in the Bouchon cookbook. I've used it in the past with good success, though now I sous vide. Related to that, the brussels sprouts recipe that he serves the confit with is an all time favorite. I use variations of it all the time, not just with duck.
    Do share?
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Just had the duck for lunch. Seared the confit and ate it with a salad. Not surprisingly, the Thomas Keller recipe is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Do share?
    Glad to. Not home right now with the book, but this should be accurate. Anyone with the cookbook feel free to correct me.

Trim the brussels sprouts, blanche in salted water then plunge them in an ice bath. I think Keller calls for them to be cut into coins. I do this when it's a base for something, but more often just half or quarter them.

In a skillet heat some duck fat (if you were making Kellers recipe this is the skillet you used to crisp the confit). Sauté shallots and thyme, plus garlic confit (I do more of a roasted garlic...see below). Add chicken stock, simmer down then add grain mustard and sprouts. Once heated through add creme fraiche. Heat till thickened, then garnish with chives and serve.

On the garlic, instead of confit, I slice The whole bulb in half, make a foil pouch, drizzle with olive oil, add salt, thyme sprigs, fresh bay leaves and a little water and roast the sealed packet for 45 mins or so. Use this many times when garlic is called for.