Hello Everyone - Introduction and Questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking at the site for a year and decided to register so that I could partake of the advice and guidance from you old pros.

I working in several kitchens in my youth but am not regretably making my money in business. Cooking is still a passion but limited to a few hours per week.

My most used knives and sharpening tools are as follows:

• Miyabi 7000 MCD Santoku (HRC~64+)
  • DT IDK 270mm Gyuto - Brand spanking new!
  • Wusthof 10" Chefs Knife
  • Wusthof 7" Santoku
  • Edge Pro Apex Custom Chosera Kit
  • MAC Ceramic Hone
  • Wish List - Heirloom quality custom 250mm Gyuto Maybe a DT if I am lucky.

1. I am hoping for some quick advice from members on the following:
  2. To what angle would you recomend I sharpen the Miyabi and DT IDK? I was hoping to put a thinner angle on the blades without going too crazy. Please remember that the Miyabi is extemely hard steel.
  3. Where should I send my blades to have the angles reset? I do not think that I want to do this with the EdgePro initially.
  4. Can you provide guidance on where I can get the handles replaced and upgraded on my Wusthofs? I was going to give them to a friend as a present.

I appreciate your advice and look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Claudio

Hello,

I have been looking at the site for a year and decided to register so that I could partake of the advice and guidance from you old pros.

Welcome to KKF, Claudio.

I am hoping for some quick advice from members on the following:
To what angle would you recomend I sharpen the Miyabi and DT IDK? I was hoping to put a thinner angle on the blades without going too crazy. Please remember that the Miyabi is extemely hard steel.

While it's tempting to just give a number, let me suggest that the angle to sharpen at would depend not only on the steel, but on your particular use of the blade, the cutting surface and the food you are cutting. That's part of the fun of this hobby, the process of fine tuning the angle, the stones to use, whether to strop or not - the list goes on. Since you have an EdgePro, you have a good tool to use in your experiments.

Use the marker "trick" to determine what the angle of your edges are right now, and then decrease it gradually until you either reach the limit of the EdgePro (the Apex can go down to around eight or nine degrees) or your edge fails in use. A decrease of about two degrees at a time is probably a good, conservative plan.

Where should I send my blades to have the angles reset? I do not think that I want to do this with the EdgePro initially.

I can't think of any reason to send your knives out if you have an EdgePro.

Can you provide guidance on where I can get the handles replaced and upgraded on my Wusthofs? I was going to give them to a friend as a present.

That depends on what Wusthof line you have. The Grand Prix line has molded handles on a stick tang that I don't think would be easy to replace, but the Classic line has riveted handles and would be fairly easy to change.

There are several forum members that I know of that work on Western handles: Dave Martell, the forum owner, is one; I think Eamon (Burke Cutlery) is just getting stared and kalaeb and Taz575 are two others. (If I've left anyone out, I didn't mean to.)

Hope this answered some of your questions.

Rick

Back