Tung oil on ho-wood or magnolia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkdc

Reaction score
I've searched and read several threads on oiling handles, but no specific thread addressed magnolia or ho wood handles in particular. I like the nice warm feel of them, but they do get a little fuzzy and dirty, and after sharpening or grinding, the handle takes on that wonderful dirty gray appearance.

I know Japanese handles are meant to be used and replaced.

Does anyone prefer a tung oiled surface (slick but clean)? I've never tried tung oil on ho wood.

Long ago, I tried some Boos mystery oil on ho-wood. I didn't like the greasy feeling. It felt far far greasier than mineral oil on rosewood or any other wood.

Tung oil is a drying oil and if you put it on a dirty handle, will seat the dirt it there.

a combo of beeswax and mineral oil is best. aka boardbutter.

If your handle gets dirty from swarf, get a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and wrap it around the handle, and grab it like a hammer. Sand it up and down, do this alone if you are embarassed about it. Then use a piece of brown paper bag after it's clean to bring it back up to shiny.

Then soak it in oil.

Back