Chef Son's bread slasher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretia

Reaction score
A while back I was looking for a better approach than a razor blade for slashing loaves of bread. Son, in one of his typical generous moves, sent me this little cutie to try:

Finally got a chance to use it the other day. Here's the bread before slashing. (Should have let it rise a little more, but it was late and I was tired.)

Bread1.jpg

After slashing. There's going to be a little bit of a learning curve with this--I managed to squash the ends of the loaf, but the cuts towards the center were better:

Bread2.jpg

And the final product:

Bread3.jpg

I'm really happy with how the slashes in the center of the loaf came out. Better results than with a razor blade or one of my knives, and a heck of a lot easier to wash than a razor blade! I'll need to work on it a little more to develop some consistency, but this looks like it's going to be a super tool for bread. And it works on old lady whiskers, too! :wink:

Thanks again, Son! You're the best!

It's certainly the best looking bread slasher I have ever seen (glad to hear it works well too!).

We should take a poll to see how many of us are in posession of some kinda Son blade. I know I love mine.

We should take a poll to see how many of us are in posession of some kinda Son blade. I know I love mine.

I am extremely grateful to son. I wear my tooth everywhere as seen in the WCG photos. It is my most prized possession.

I initially just looked at the photos and thought you shaved this bread.... and was worried that it was hairy bread. and was kind of got paranoid that how in the world the brad can grow hair. scary.

Bread looks amazing!

I initially just looked at the photos and thought you shaved this bread.... and was worried that it was hairy bread. and was kind of got paranoid that how in the world the brad can grow hair. scary.

Bread looks amazing!

I only have to shave it after it's been sitting out on the counter for a couple of weeks...:justkidding:

Son has definitely helped me out along the way!!! I've gotten 5 blades from him so far and sent 2 back out....some still need HT.

I only have to shave it after it's been sitting out on the counter for a couple of weeks...:justkidding:

If bread sat out for a couple of weeks here I'd need a chainsaw.....REALLY.

That's beautiful (both blade and loaf). In the few short months since I joined these forums I've witnessed a few of Son's generous acts, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the things we never hear of. Very inspiring.

i still am using one of son's cimitars that he sent me its a beast. but as a pastry chef i use an x-acto knife for my baugette

1004707v.jpg
jeez i just cut it with my misono parer or ikea parer if misonos at work and the results arent bad...
[didnt even knew theres such a thing as a special bread slasher]

bieniek,

I was using a razor blade before, and it was ok. But I don't particularly like handling bare razor blades, and posted to see if there was a special tool (other than a cheap plastic lame) that was used by pros. AND it was an excuse for another knife! :wink:

Son sent me this gorgeous razor. It's over 100 years old and in amazing condition. Not only will it do a good job of cutting the dough, it's easy to clean, it's a joy to use such a beautiful old tool, and I will think of Son and his kindness every time I use it.

My knives have to be functional, but they can also be jewelry, toys, and mementos. Just adds another layer of enjoyment to using them.

(Fantastic looking bread, btw!)

Yes, ma'am :)

Wonderful of him as it is in very good condition, I just thought its not a razor, but a special fancy tool that was invented just for the bread scoring purpose...

(Yours not too bad either, ma'am)

Thanks!

Not a fancy bread tool, but feels like getting a hug to use it, so it's pretty special! :biggrin:

And I think it's going to work really well, when I figure out how to hold my tongue just so when using it.

Back