Making Serving Trays - WIP sort of

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I was looking at photos of Japanese tableware and saw some Sushi Serving Trays.
I liked what I saw and decided to make something similar.
These will be serving trays made from quilted maple. I am pretty sure I will use ebony for the legs.
I am doing a lacquer finish similar to how they do with electric guitars.
Not sure how everything will turn out, but I will post photos as I go along.

This photo shows one of the pieces with a single coat of lacquer and 2 others that are being sanded.
qm001.jpg

Those look pretty good. what are you using to finish the boards...is it food safe?

I am using Baby Safe Lacquer.
I figured if the information on the can says it is safe for babies to chew on, it would be safe with food.

Wonder if board butter would work on it?

I was wanting to end up with a real good lacquer finish like Japanese Lacquer ware.
The finish process will involve a coat of lacquer allowed to cure.
Then sand back down to bare wood.
Followed by several more coats of lacquer that will be rubbed out and polished after it cures.
The finishing process I am trying on this will take a little over a week.

Still hoping one day you will saw out a few nice steak serving plates/platters, with a routed ridge to catch juices, with a nice natural edge on some portions, rub it thoroughly with food safe mineral oil, and put them up for sale :)

You are so close already...

Mark:

I'm just curious. What is the purpose of sanding down that inital layer of lacquer?

Mark:

I'm just curious. What is the purpose of sanding down that inital layer of lacquer?

By sanding the 1st coat to bare wood (and no further) the lacquer has filled any open pores and other irregularities in the wood.
The following coats build up the surface coating. This way the finish is smooth and flat so it can show off the wood to it's best potential.

I was wanting to end up with a real good lacquer finish like Japanese Lacquer ware.
The finish process will involve a coat of lacquer allowed to cure.
Then sand back down to bare wood.
Followed by several more coats of lacquer that will be rubbed out and polished after it cures.
The finishing process I am trying on this will take a little over a week.

You may want to check out http://www.etsy.com/listing/91911943/elegant-pecan-server-set?ref=exp_listing if you are still on your quest for a wooden steak plate.

Very reasonable guy, friendly. I purchased a few platters made of Pecan and also few plates and bowls of osage orange also known as bodark.

You can specify your preference(s)..

hv fun.
D

You may want to check out http://www.etsy.com/listing/91911943/elegant-pecan-server-set?ref=exp_listing if you are still on your quest for a wooden steak plate.

Very reasonable guy, friendly. I purchased a few platters made of Pecan and also few plates and bowls of osage orange also known as bodark.

You can specify your preference(s)..

hv fun.
D

Actually, my friend Osage orange is also called Bois d' Arc pronounced Bodark. Sorry, that's been bugging me for awhile now. Bodark came about because, people didn't know how to spell the french name Bois d' Arc which means bow-wood (given because the Natives used to make pretty damn good bows with it.) Now I am through being a dick and will release the thread back to the masses.

Back