Quantcast
Skate Wing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skate Wing

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Hi what knife are you using? is this your favorite knife for skate? would a not be effective because it isn't flexible?

Never worked with skate but I'm interested. I don't have a boning knife. I could see a pretty being useful

Thanks
    You know what I have tried other knives for this but flexible just works better for me. Doesn't have to be that long, any flexible boning knife would prolly do.

About the scallop thing though. I'm certain that's just an old fisherman's/wives tale. The reason this came to be is because skate tastes similar to scallop a bit with it's sweet flesh. Why is this? Skate eat scallops and crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, lobsters, snails, other mollusks etc. You are what you eat I suppose.

In all my years I've never seen a skate being passed off as a scallop. It just wouldn't work anyway. You would see the striations running across and know it isn't a scallop. It could never pass as one.

Although I suppose I could see them marketed as "imitation scallop" as long as they were labeled as such. For people with shellfish allergies that could be cool.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

We would get skate on fisherman's wharf in Hamilton, Bermuda and use it in the Chinese restaraunt Szechuwan style. It never LASTED three days, but could get a little ammonia smell if not wrapped in plastic and then iced down over a drip pan. Whereas the venue was Chopsticks, you know what knife we used! Considering we utilized thin slices for both stir-fried or casselrole dishes, it worked fine.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

I like the shellfish allergy alot, neat. just blazing through those wings
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    You know what I have tried other knives for this but flexible just works better for me. Doesn't have to be that long, any flexible boning knife would prolly do.

About the scallop thing though. I'm certain that's just an old fisherman's/wives tale. The reason this came to be is because skate tastes similar to scallop a bit with it's sweet flesh. Why is this? Skate eat scallops and crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, lobsters, snails, other mollusks etc. You are what you eat I suppose.

In all my years I've never seen a skate being passed off as a scallop. It just wouldn't work anyway. You would see the striations running across and know it isn't a scallop. It could never pass as one.

Although I suppose I could see them marketed as "imitation scallop" as long as they were labeled as such. For people with shellfish allergies that could be cool.
    Admittedly, just a rumor I have heard for years on the scallops. You are right the striations would be there. Stingrays I just took the barb off and released and bat rays I always caught and released. Sheepshead in California have a similar crustacean and mollusk diet.

I have seen deep fried "scallops" at chinese buffets which are obviously not scallop. Could be skate I guess or some processed fish-ball like paste?

Also,

Do you do anything with the "bones" or cartilage? Personally I love eating cartilage in general, so I think I would enjoy the skate ones as well. Maybe braise till tender/crunchy? Fried?

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I have seen deep fried "scallops" at chinese buffets which are obviously not scallop. Could be skate I guess or some processed fish-ball like paste?

Also,

Do you do anything with the "bones" or cartilage? Personally I love eating cartilage in general, so I think I would enjoy the skate ones as well. Maybe braise till tender/crunchy? Fried?
    I will leave the eating cartilage from rays to someone more qualified than I. On a stretch maybe you could do a variation of shark fin soup. Never thought of eating it. I eat wahoo(Ono), mahi mahi(dorado), white sea bass, tuna, and lots of mollusks and crustaceans. I haven't ever eaten skate or rays. Even my threshers and makos I have caught I just gave the steaks away made a lot of people happy usually to recovery homes and rehabs.

Wondering if you have ever tried this technique for making a skate steak?