Media Skate Wing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;P55aIL-AiAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55aIL-AiAw&lc=tN7Zmt64lbiE45Sq-a4yit1ZMkqPw6cmfKoXmzrzUbI&feature=inbox[/video]

You made quick work of them! I like them super simple with a flour dredge and fried in butter.

Theory,
Do you treat your wings for the ammonia smell that is so common in them?

Is the removal of the red bits for the cosmetics or are they problematical as far as taste/texture are concerned?

the red bits are similar to bloodline in that they can have a organ-ish taste. i prefer to remove them if possible but sometimes they go all the way through.

nice video!!

Yeah we usually just season them and give em a light dredge in wondra or rice flour then a nice pan sear. Finish with a menuire sauce or a brown butter balsamic emulsion.

As for the ammonia smell, they don't really do that for about 3 days. They don't really hold after that. We even vacuum them at the end of the shift and ice em down. After the third night of service that's it. They should smell sweet like a scallop and yet fresh like the ocean. In a good way. If your skate wing smells like ammonia, it's most likely older than three days. Also, when caught and if not processed right away, about 30 min after death depending upon temperature, they can smell of ammonia strongly as well.

Hi what knife are you using? is this your favorite knife for skate? would a not be effective because it isn't flexible?

Never worked with skate but I'm interested. I don't have a boning knife. I could see a pretty being useful

Thanks

Nice work, more ethical than a round cookie cutter.

Hi what knife are you using? is this your favorite knife for skate? would a not be effective because it isn't flexible?

Never worked with skate but I'm interested. I don't have a boning knife. I could see a pretty being useful

Thanks

You know what I have tried other knives for this but flexible just works better for me. Doesn't have to be that long, any flexible boning knife would prolly do.

About the scallop thing though. I'm certain that's just an old fisherman's/wives tale. The reason this came to be is because skate tastes similar to scallop a bit with it's sweet flesh. Why is this? Skate eat scallops and crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, lobsters, snails, other mollusks etc. You are what you eat I suppose.

In all my years I've never seen a skate being passed off as a scallop. It just wouldn't work anyway. You would see the striations running across and know it isn't a scallop. It could never pass as one.

Although I suppose I could see them marketed as "imitation scallop" as long as they were labeled as such. For people with shellfish allergies that could be cool.

We would get skate on fisherman's wharf in Hamilton, Bermuda and use it in the Chinese restaraunt Szechuwan style. It never LASTED three days, but could get a little ammonia smell if not wrapped in plastic and then iced down over a drip pan. Whereas the venue was Chopsticks, you know what knife we used! :biggrin: Considering we utilized thin slices for both stir-fried or casselrole dishes, it worked fine.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I like the shellfish allergy alot, neat. just blazing through those wings

You know what I have tried other knives for this but flexible just works better for me. Doesn't have to be that long, any flexible boning knife would prolly do.

About the scallop thing though. I'm certain that's just an old fisherman's/wives tale. The reason this came to be is because skate tastes similar to scallop a bit with it's sweet flesh. Why is this? Skate eat scallops and crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, lobsters, snails, other mollusks etc. You are what you eat I suppose.

In all my years I've never seen a skate being passed off as a scallop. It just wouldn't work anyway. You would see the striations running across and know it isn't a scallop. It could never pass as one.

Although I suppose I could see them marketed as "imitation scallop" as long as they were labeled as such. For people with shellfish allergies that could be cool.

Admittedly, just a rumor I have heard for years on the scallops. You are right the striations would be there. Stingrays I just took the barb off and released and bat rays I always caught and released. Sheepshead in California have a similar crustacean and mollusk diet.

I have seen deep fried "scallops" at chinese buffets which are obviously not scallop. Could be skate I guess or some processed fish-ball like paste?

Also,

Do you do anything with the "bones" or cartilage? Personally I love eating cartilage in general, so I think I would enjoy the skate ones as well. Maybe braise till tender/crunchy? Fried?

I have seen deep fried "scallops" at chinese buffets which are obviously not scallop. Could be skate I guess or some processed fish-ball like paste?

Also,

Do you do anything with the "bones" or cartilage? Personally I love eating cartilage in general, so I think I would enjoy the skate ones as well. Maybe braise till tender/crunchy? Fried?

I will leave the eating cartilage from rays to someone more qualified than I. On a stretch maybe you could do a variation of shark fin soup. Never thought of eating it. I eat wahoo(Ono), mahi mahi(dorado), white sea bass, tuna, and lots of mollusks and crustaceans. I haven't ever eaten skate or rays. Even my threshers and makos I have caught I just gave the steaks away made a lot of people happy usually to recovery homes and rehabs.

Wondering if you have ever tried this technique for making a skate steak?

Back