Quantcast
Twin Cermax Birchwood MD67

Thread: Twin Cermax Birchwood MD67

Twin Cermax Birchwood MD67

hi: anybody know any information about these knives?? they look much better than old twin cermax md67 with red micarta handel!!

i prefer the old style, as kasumi is easier to maintain than kitaeji. i'm sure they are great knives, though, as the old cermax knives were great (kinda wish i hadn't sold my 240mm chefs).

I like the look of those better than the old ones. Competition for the birchwood miyabis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    I like the look of those better than the old ones. Competition for the birchwood miyabis?
    would be odd for them to compete with themselves.

the old style is also Kitaeji

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    the old style is also Kitaeji
    i meant the original series.

I wouldn't be caught dead holding something that chromed out. I noticed there's quite a few Shuns with similar ultra-bling cladding. It's a shame.

Regardless of the handle material, the Cermax has been around a long time, and I thought discontinued because the price of the 66RC (ZDP) steel was too expensive.

The steel is super ware resistant, really not that hard to maintain, but a hassle to thin. Profile of the 240 gyuto was good; geometry was OK- a touch thick behind the edge; handle was clunky and heavy- livable with the large gyuto, but unbearable with any other size.

The cladding on the original series was much too soft, and scratched super easy; I'd bet the damascus clad are no better....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    I wouldn't be caught dead holding something that chromed out. I noticed there's quite a few Shuns with similar ultra-bling cladding. It's a shame.
    ZDP steel is what I want!!

I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find one from a member here ( a Cermax anyway; not sure about the birchwood, although for the savings, you could get it rehandled). Maybe try a WTB in the BST????
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com