Quantcast
First Sharpening Experience - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Sharpening Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    Congrats!!! Good call on using a practice knife! Even after sharpening for years, I will sometimes still slip and scratch a blade. The bevel looks nice and even. The burr can be a pain to feel, especially as you get into the higher grit stones. I can usually feel it on my fingernail.
    I really had a difficult time with feeling for the burr... I wish the burr can be super huge and visible

I find it by dragging the tip of my fingernail down the edge bevel; it will usually catch before the fingernail slips off of the bevel if there is one. An eye Loupe also helps out a lot; you will see a rough patch if there is a burr there. I was going nuts sharpening a knife until I looked thru the loupe and realized I didn't get all the way to the edge with the first stone and the area was really rough and coarse looking. Went back to the 1200 Beston and made sure to go to the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz575 View Post
    I find it by dragging the tip of my fingernail down the edge bevel; it will usually catch before the fingernail slips off of the bevel if there is one. An eye Loupe also helps out a lot; you will see a rough patch if there is a burr there. I was going nuts sharpening a knife until I looked thru the loupe and realized I didn't get all the way to the edge with the first stone and the area was really rough and coarse looking. Went back to the 1200 Beston and made sure to go to the edge.
    I think I will look through a loupe tomorrow! Eventually though, I really want to develop a tactile sense for a burr, just like a craftsman!

You are my new hero.

Excellent hand position in pictures number seven and eleven.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Thanks !

but here's my confession... i haven't had a chance to do a follow-up sharpening practice Maybe on this coming week, I can go back to it, and get decent at it...

+ Reply to Thread