Quantcast
HHH ironwood burl - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HHH ironwood burl

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Don't you do all your work with hand tools? That is some serious time investment! Great job!
    Thanks Eamon,

I broke down and bought a beltsander and a drill press. I'm still waiting on the right bandsaw to show up.

So maybe just a coat of bees wax will work?

I just seen this, First let me say GREAT JOB on that handle! Very classy looking and well done.

As to the wood, I normally apply a few coats of wax to the entire handle. Then either buff or hand rub to desired finish.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    I just seen this, First let me say GREAT JOB on that handle! Very classy looking and well done.

As to the wood, I normally apply a few coats of wax to the entire handle. Then either buff or hand rub to desired finish.
    Right on! Your answer was the answer I was waiting for seeing as how I bought the wood from you.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and the great block of wood Randy.

Beautifully done, as obtuse said it looks like you have been making handles for years.

Hattorichop, Happy to help, Ironwoods are quite beautiful and naturally have oils and resins that help to make the wood polish beautifully, Adding a few coats of wax will often take it to the next level. but sometimes it looks almost the same and you cant even tell that you waxed it I like Ren wax and have also used Lustra and other blends of auto waxes, as well as floor finished paste waxes with good results. Ren wax seems to be the easiest to apply and polish. Lustra and the paste waxes can be stubborn and take more work to polish by hand. Yet are well worth the extra efforts and will work good for this application.

I would wax the whole handle. and probably apply at least 3 coats to it and possibly more to the wood if needed to get the desired results. It looks awesome and my bet is its going look even nicer with the wax coats!

Above all, Have fun and enjoy the process.

Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

+ Reply to Thread