black palm handle.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotchef38

Reaction score
Hi,has anyone ever seen or know of a wa handle being made from a block of black palm?

I am working on one now. Its Red Palm actually. I think Stefan has made them in the past too.

I've got a piece I've yet to do anything with. Just haven't found the right knife. I don't love black palm, but it is a really interesting block.

I should add it's stabilized. The reason black palm wa handles are not common is because unstabilized palm is a PITA to work with.

Kinda funny, you see a ton of black palm in straight razors and brushes.

I would not attempt to use palm without having it professionally stabilized 1st.
That said stabilized palm makes great looking handles.
I like a diagonal cut the best. That way it shows the dots without giving up it's natural strength.
If you use straight, crosscut, end grain palm make sure it is supported by a tang or dowel inside to keep it from breaking.

I made a few and while I like the looks, I am not a big fan of working with it. I had several crack on me even after stabilizing - or maybe hidden cracks happened during stabilizing. I now just try to break a piece intentionally before I work with it. If it survives, I give it a try... This is mostly for the cross-cut pieces. Cut lengthwise, they may still splinter a bit but are much easier to work. More than any other wood, palm wood is more like a bundle of fibers.

Stefan

Latest posts

Back