advice on Asano Nagura use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markenki

Reaction score
I recently bought some Asano Naguras from Maxim: Mejiro, Tenjyou, and Botan. Which one should I use with my red Aoto (also from Maxim)? How about with the Takashima Awasedo (from Jon)? Any tips on using these naguras with the stones I have?

Thanks,

Mark

i dont think either of those stones needs nagura... they are both pretty muddy to begin with. Naguras are often used on harder stones to get the work started. Also, they can often be used after flattening to restore the stone surface (and remove scratching... which is funny because while scratched surfaces can be great on synthetics, they suck on naturals... they undermine the work the stone should be doing)

*sorry for answering in your forum maxim

Pretty much what Jon Say :)
Also you can use it on your high spots of your stone, so your stones kip flat longer.
If you have truble to make slurry on your stones you can start every sharpening with Nagura on your high spots thats how your stones will last also longer and you have plenty of mud :)

Thanks, guys. Well, I guess that means I'll need to get a harder stone. :)

For restoring the stone surface, does it matter which of the naguras I use?

Thanks,

Mark

since you going to start with botan every time you sharpen, that will be the one to take care of the surface.

Would I necessarily always start with the botan even though the purpose of using it were to resurface the stone? Are each of the naguras I have harder than either the red aoto or the takashima awasedo? The nagura would need to be harder than the main stone to resurface it, no?

Thanks,

Mark

Botan is usually softer Nagura and can be same hardness or softer then Red Aoto and Takashima, if you want to make slurry only from the stones i will use Mejiro. But if you want to resurface i will try Botan

Back