Quantcast
Kimono/Yukata - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimono/Yukata

oh yes, pink helmet... i think i can give it a shot this week ! He will look so adorable with it...

And yes, my Dad has such a magnificent mustache.... i've never seen my Dad without a mustache.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    What percentage of Japanese wear kimono? Is it still a tradition that is passed down? I would hate to see such things "die out" over time.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    What percentage of Japanese wear kimono? Is it still a tradition that is passed down? I would hate to see such things "die out" over time.
    I have no clue when it comes to the percentage.... but I can say that kimono is not at all worn on a daily basis at all anymore, excluding tea masters and very few really older females (maybe the age above 70? 80?) who grew up not wearing western clothing. Both of my parents are tea masters, and their masters, I remember, worn kimono everyday they were both females). Among parents' and my generation, it has become a rare ability to be able to put kimono by themselves as well... None of my friends are able to put on a kimono by themselves, or even with an assistance.

Yukata is a little easier and there are a lot of people who can do it by themselves - you see a lot of little kids, young adults, and adults going out in yukata for summer events such as firework festivals. When it comes to kimono, more often than not people hire professional stylist to put on kimono for very special occasions. Here's some examples when Japanese people wear kimono....

Usually little girls wear kimono and boys wear hakama to visit local shrines for their Shichigosan event (a gala day for children of three, five and seven years of age). Japanese local municipalities hold coming-of-the age event for young adults of 20. Then majority of females wear kimono (in particular furisode style with long sleeves), and some males wear hakama for the event. Also it's very common to wear hakama (specifically made for females) among females. Also, you have a better chance of finding females wearing kimono on the new year day since it's a big and very important day in Japanese culture.

Yes, I'm very strong advocate for kimono! It's a genius and beautiful design our ancestors came up with... They last very long time and can be recycled in such clever ways. Japanese kimono design was way ahead of time in terms its practicality and eco-friendliness, as well as the style... I love it!

One interesting fact - Kimono will look better on someone who is not that skinny. You need to have some roundness to your figure... When I had stylists put on kimono for me for my coming-of-the age event, I had 3 huge bath towels around my sholders, and 1 towel for my belly. It looked much better that way, and also kimono sits more comfortably that way....

Can someone who is not Japanese wear kimono, or would it be considered disrespectful?
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Can someone who is not Japanese wear kimono, or would it be considered disrespectful?
    no way... you might "stand out" a little bit but all the exchange students I know usually tried kimono/yukata sometimes, and they all were encouraged and welcomed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    my japanese friends have offered to get me a yukata and geta sandals to wear to their summer party . they do want me to wear one .. so i guess it is ok

http://www.densaburouoku.com/Site/Fish_Series.html

http://www.kenekphotography.com/Kene...burou_Oku.html

we welcome everyone for our awesome kimono culture !

+ Reply to Thread