Quantcast
blade color
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blade color

blade color

I have a Moritaka Petty 150mm in Aogami Super Steel. it's not that old, about a month. It comes in a kind of "two-tone" finish, i.e. silver on bottom and black on top. the black on top seems to be wearing off. Is this normal? I have always owned some old carbon knives of one tone, or stainless, like the shun knives, so i don't know.

While I'm at it, I checked out the 6" Bob Kramer chef in carbon. The handle is too fat for me, but I like the depth of the blade where it connects to the handle, from top to bottom of heel (not thickness, but height or depth, whatever it is called) Also the Shun 6" chef, but I want carbon, and not a Santouki. I like a point.

Note, I am not crazy about these small, octagonal handle on a lot of Japanese knives. I do like the Shun D shaped handles, but not the VG-10 steel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

p.s. I was pretty set on the bob Kramer, but when I held it in my hand did not like the feel.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    What's your budget?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Your Moritaka is a kuro-uchi finished knife, and the "black stuff" is forge scale. I can't say it's normal for the finish to come off, as I have kuro-uchi knives that have not lost any of their finish, but I understand it is a common occurrence, especially with Moritaka knives. If it is flaking off into the food you are cutting, you can remove it all with abrasives and then force a patina on the very reactive steel under the finish. There are a couple of threads about the Tojiro ITK series knives where this has been done and the results are very pleasing.

If you are seriously considering spending that kind of cash on a Zwilling-Kramer, I would strongly suggest looking into a custom made knife, where you can combine a tall heel with a profile to suit your style and handle to suit your preferences. If you keep your handle wood selection conservative, and use O1 or 1084 carbon steel, the price should be reasonable. There are several smiths active in this forum who do high quality work, but you should look for one that has experience with Western handled knives. One I can highly recommend as very easy to talk to and work with to get the knife of your dreams is Pierre Rodrigue. He has made several Western handled knives for members of this forum. Another is the owner of this forum, Dave Martell. There are also some hobbyist-craftsmen like Don Nguyen and Mario Ingoglia (RRLOVER) that you could consider.

There may be a wait, but it is worth it.

Rick

I was going to spend $150 and bought the Moritaka. Love the steel, but not the handle or the shallow heel. Still like the knife though. I figure I'll have to spend between $200-$300 to find what I want. I will check off the shelf stuff first, and go from there.

thanks,

Dennis

I suggested a custom because there aren't many off the shelf knives that are tall at the heel like the Z-K's with a Western handle.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
    I was going to spend $150 and bought the Moritaka. Love the steel, but not the handle or the shallow heel. Still like the knife though. I figure I'll have to spend between $200-$300 to find what I want. I will check off the shelf stuff first, and go from there.

thanks,

Dennis

The Kuro-uchi finish on my Moritaka appears to be applied after the forging process. It does come off easily. The finish on Takeda is much harder and wear resistant.

Have you checked out the Funayuki shaped knifes?

Moritaka does custom orders. A Funayuki in AS, with a D handle may be a good solution.

When I read, your description of the type of knife you want, I think Honesuki. A Carbonext, with a western handle is $100.00.

Jon with JKI, has some interesting stuff. In the Geshin Ginga line, there is the Fukuro and home sets. The Zakuri line, has a Funauki. Jon could also special order a knife that meets your requirements.

Jay

To second Pensacola tiger, remove the remaining kurouchi and immediately force a patina on it. I have a Moritaka that I had the same problem with.

Jaybett,

Thanks. Took a look at the Funayuki at JKI. Out of stock and a octagon handle, but it seems to be very much what I want. Also considering the Myabi (sp?) 6" chef. Not crazy about the stainless steel, but really like the way the knife looks, and feels in the hand. I hear good things about that stainless. Tried the Kramer 6" chef at SLT and the handle was too fat in the palm. I guess it's the small things that make you nuts in life! But you really have to handle a knife to know if it's right.

The kuro-uchi finish on Moritakas does come off easily - but I suggest the opposite of the guys above - LEAVE IT ALONE! Because the metal cladding is highly reactive but does not take a patina as other cladding steels do. I've tried that with my 270 kiri-gyuot and just ended up with a stink bomb. I have the 150 petty too, and like it quite a bit. I use it for in hand work, and the KU has help up fairly well. I don't use a petty nearly as much as a gyuto, so it's surviving better.

I suggest for a new knife recomendation that you start off with more about what you are looking for in a knife and what you intend to use it for - check out the new knife quesitonaire for guidelines and start with that.

As far as handles go, check out the Yusuke knives from Blue Way Japan on ebay - they have octagonal handles but run a tad bigger than others, and personally I like them a lot. Each handle for every size and style of knife is modified to suit the blade.

And as always, get in touch w/ Jon @ JKI... infinite wisdom.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    What kind of a grip are you using? With a pinch grip I don't find any handles(unless they are too big) to be that uncomfortable.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon