Quantcast
Dispelling Myths - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dispelling Myths

OK, here's another question:

In Japanese culture, is a patina acceptable on a knife or is it considered undesirable? Like I said, I've been around some hardcore guys who have carbon knives that are kept pristine all the time. I always have some patina on my knife, particularly on ura, where it never makes contact with a stone.

much more awesomer
    After seeing some really shiny knives lately, I'm not only tempted to scrub off the patina (which I do like), but to have a go at the machine finish on my knives with wet papers (ā la Salty).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Sponsors
    Hmm Jon do you maybe mean in Pro restaurants ? Corse i have seen a lot of patinet knives in Japan, home kitchens, markets etc..

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    no patina in japan... people think of it as dirty

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Hmm Jon do you maybe mean in Pro restaurants ? Corse i have seen a lot of patinet knives in Japan, home kitchens, markets etc..
    Me too, actually. I think he must mean - in particular - sushi bars and resto kitchens open to public view.

i think patina often happens to knives used in home kitchens... for instance, my mom's have patina on them. but it doesn't mean it's a "preferable" for most home cooks either. My mom (and my relatives and friends) would rather have shiny knives and don't set patina on knives if it weren't too much of trouble. I've never seen anyone, pros and non-pros, develop patina intentionally.

If you deal with a stinking SK-4 you really have no choice, other than forcing a patina.

Dispelling Myths

Hi JBroida,

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    However, you will see many chefs in Japan (the vast majority) use microbevels (koba) on their knives.
    Allow me to introduce myself. Though I am new to this forum, I have been lurking for a while and was impressed by the many excellent threads, this one included. I am an enthusiastic sharpener, made a few knives, favour lasers over heavier blades, like my steels hard and prefer micro bevels over simple edges.

Did you ever get to measure or estimate the angle of Koba on single bevel Yanagis, Usubas and Debas that the pros use with top end knives? And how about domestic users?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers
    John

Welcome to the forums.

+ Reply to Thread