Quantcast
Dispelling Myths - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110

Thread: Dispelling Myths

  1. #51
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Myth: Every single japanese citizen have a vast knowledge about kitchen cutlery since the day theyre born.
    lol

    Truth: Most japanese people dont even know the name of the style of knife they use. Nakiri, santoku, and petty are most common (in the 165mm size and under) as is deba. Also, lately, german knives have become popular in home kitchens for ease of care and lack of skill required to be able to be used. Very few people know how to sharpen. Most people dont even know a lot of the vocabulary we use here on a daily basis (uraoshi, kamagata usuba, koba, machi, etc.)

    The vast majority of what we talk about here are professional knives used in professional kitchens in japan or knives specifically designed for the western market.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Zwiefel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    lol

    Truth: Most japanese people dont even know the name of the style of knife they use. Nakiri, santoku, and petty are most common (in the 165mm size and under) as is deba. Also, lately, german knives have become popular in home kitchens for ease of care and lack of skill required to be able to be used. Very few people know how to sharpen. Most people dont even know a lot of the vocabulary we use here on a daily basis (uraoshi, kamagata usuba, koba, machi, etc.)

    The vast majority of what we talk about here are professional knives used in professional kitchens in japan or knives specifically designed for the western market.
    I have a Japanese employee and this is exactly what I have discovered in my discussions with him over the last couple of weeks. He knows "gyuto" and that's it.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Chefdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Outside the Beltway
    Posts
    526
    MYTH:
    A Samurai can turn an entire case of artichokes with one swing of his Katana.

  4. #54
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    MYTH:
    A Samurai can turn an entire case of artichokes with one swing of his Katana.
    That part is true though.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  5. #55

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Truth: Most japanese people dont even know the name of the style of knife they use. Nakiri, santoku, and petty are most common (in the 165mm size and under) as is deba. Also, lately, german knives have become popular in home kitchens for ease of care and lack of skill required to be able to be used. Very few people know how to sharpen. Most people dont even know a lot of the vocabulary we use here on a daily basis (uraoshi, kamagata usuba, koba, machi, etc.) The vast majority of what we talk about here are professional knives used in professional kitchens in japan or knives specifically designed for the western market
    Very true! First, you see plenty of German knives around there. Maybe sometimes they're seen as foreign and therefore possibly better/more interesting/different? Psychology, I guess. Meanwhile, things like the Henckels Made in Japan Miyabi line seem pretty common - and so ironic, a Western company selling Japanese knives back to the Japanese.

    Yes, if you go talking about kurouchi/hagane/jigane/santoku/yanagiba, etc, to the average Japanese they will be bemused, not really know what in the world you're on about, and find it odd a foreigner would know and care about such things. Even in knife shops they might be surprised.

    Also, I'd say there's no special reverence for knives amongst the general public there. Just as elsewhere, knives are just things you need and not really interesting, and not something to spend much time or money on. Kitchen tools. Although sometimes nice knives are also seen as a good gift.

  6. #56
    Sara@JKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    lol

    Truth: Most japanese people dont even know the name of the style of knife they use. Nakiri, santoku, and petty are most common (in the 165mm size and under) as is deba. Also, lately, german knives have become popular in home kitchens for ease of care and lack of skill required to be able to be used. Very few people know how to sharpen. Most people dont even know a lot of the vocabulary we use here on a daily basis (uraoshi, kamagata usuba, koba, machi, etc.)

    The vast majority of what we talk about here are professional knives used in professional kitchens in japan or knives specifically designed for the western market.
    yes, true... especially among younger people (including my generation). I must admit some of my friends even had knives from 100 yen shop (Japanese version of 99c store).

  7. #57
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    yes, true... especially among younger people (including my generation). I must admit some of my friends even had knives from 100 yen shop (Japanese version of 99c store).
    i know...i remember seeing them when you were in college :P

  8. #58
    Sponsors
    maxim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,980
    Another one i just discovered Thick spine knifes will always wedge in vegetables and lasers will not

  9. #59

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Another one i just discovered Thick spine knifes will always wedge in vegetables and lasers will not
    Woo... I'm a think-spined type, and so like to hear this. It's true too.

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    91
    I have a question that's been bugging me for a while:

    For traditional Japanese, single beveled carbon steel knives, why do people use such a reactive steel for the jigane? Wouldn't it make sense to use a stainless steel for the jigane and keep, say, white #2 for the hagane? It would seem like the most "Duh" thing to do, but for some reason it's just not done. I'm assuming I'm totally missing a point on how these knives are made...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts