Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispelling Myths

Quote Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
    I have a question that's been bugging me for a while:

For traditional Japanese, single beveled carbon steel knives, why do people use such a reactive steel for the jigane? Wouldn't it make sense to use a stainless steel for the jigane and keep, say, white #2 for the hagane? It would seem like the most "Duh" thing to do, but for some reason it's just not done. I'm assuming I'm totally missing a point on how these knives are made...
    i can give a few reasons...

one, stainless and carbon are hard to put together and generally require large equipment and/or massive amounts of force (not to mention the skill level involved). Two, the soft iron is used because it is easy to sharpen, makes blade repair and straitening easier, is readily available, was traditionally used, and cost effective. And three, many people associate the way a knife is kept by the chef with that chefs ability to work clean etc. Carbon knives force this habit and even to this day in japan many people look at chefs who use stainless single bevel knives as a joke (not to say there arent awesome stainless single bevel knives out there, but its an uphill battle against a long standing stigma).

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    ... many people associate the way a knife is kept by the chef with that chefs ability to work clean etc. Carbon knives force this habit and even to this day in japan many people look at chefs who use stainless single bevel knives as a joke (not to say there arent awesome stainless single bevel knives out there, but its an uphill battle against a long standing stigma).
    Whew - great observation! Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Whew - great observation! Very interesting.
    Yeah it gets pretty intense. I've been in some sushi bars where guys don't even let their knives patina, and their carbon knives look pristine every second of every day. Lots of AJAX and polishing their knives down with a cork. I swear these guys spend about 40 minutes taking care of their knives every day.

Quote Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
    Yeah it gets pretty intense. I've been in some sushi bars where guys don't even let their knives patina, and their carbon knives look pristine every second of every day. Lots of AJAX and polishing their knives down with a cork. I swear these guys spend about 40 minutes taking care of their knives every day.
    I take it you're living there?

This would make sense, I guess, as I've seen decades-old, retired blades, severly thinned and sharpened down, yet still surprisingly silver and shiny.

i think its a pain to thin down soft stainless...

How about the myth that bigger is better when I comes to knife length? Guys are always recommending getting the longest blade you can, but I find that most times, a really sharp, nimble shorter blade works better. And whenever I see old sushi guys they always seem to be using shorter blades...

In EU i tend to sell much smaller knives not over 210mm and yeah in Japanese sushi bars or restaurants i have only seen smaller blades 180mm or 210 Yanagi.
    I my self use only under 210 blades even when i was pro, i don't know its just feels more comfy even if i chop larger things

Quote Originally Posted by Messy Jesse View Post
    How about the myth that bigger is better when I comes to knife length? Guys are always recommending getting the longest blade you can, but I find that most times, a really sharp, nimble shorter blade works better. And whenever I see old sushi guys they always seem to be using shorter blades...
    I wouldn't say that is a myth, just some people have their own preferences

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I wouldn't say that is a myth, just some people have their own preferences
    +1
    I used to be a 190-210 size user. I couldn't understand how anyone could comfortably wield a 270 blade until I actually got one. It took a little getting used to, but having the ability to knock out large prep quickly is a huge time-saver. I' be gotten rid of my smaller gyutos because I just don't use them anymore. Totally a personal preference.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

If I could do it all again I'd only buy 270s from the very start