Quantcast
Dispelling Myths - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Dispelling Myths

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    Hi JBroida,

Allow me to introduce myself. Though I am new to this forum, I have been lurking for a while and was impressed by the many excellent threads, this one included. I am an enthusiastic sharpener, made a few knives, favour lasers over heavier blades, like my steels hard and prefer micro bevels over simple edges.

Did you ever get to measure or estimate the angle of Koba on single bevel Yanagis, Usubas and Debas that the pros use with top end knives? And how about domestic users?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers
    John
    sure... in my experience koba are generally around 30-45 degrees

Dispelling Myths

Hi JBroida,

Thank you.

Something else: You mention that the Japanese have a general aversion to patina on their knives - How do they cope with those that are sold with a hammered black oxide coating or dark etched to reveal the layered steel? Or are these solely made for export?

Cheers
    John

Sponsors
    you dont see kurouchi knives in professional kitchens that often in general (much more often in home kitchens), and etched damascus tends to not be as popular in Japan in general.

Hi JBroida,

Again many thanks for your invaluable reply and excellent thread.

Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    lol

Truth: Most japanese people dont even know the name of the style of knife they use. Nakiri, santoku, and petty are most common (in the 165mm size and under) as is deba. Also, lately, german knives have become popular in home kitchens for ease of care and lack of skill required to be able to be used. Very few people know how to sharpen. Most people dont even know a lot of the vocabulary we use here on a daily basis (uraoshi, kamagata usuba, koba, machi, etc.)

The vast majority of what we talk about here are professional knives used in professional kitchens in japan or knives specifically designed for the western market.
    There is a WMF store here in Dresden who sells their kitchen/house stuff amongst German/Miyabi knives. They hired a special Japanese lady to sell the German knives because most the customers are from Japan coming here for the Zwilling knives. I talked to her and the Miyabi knives they are not interested in very much, but rather the typical 4-5 stars.

Same here
    Japanese tourists buying lots and lots of german buttersteel productin knives (eg Zwilling or Forschner)....

This is a question a bit between some of the other topics mentioned...

I get that kurouchi knives are rare in pro kitchens and more common in home use. I also gathered a lot of home cooks are not really eager to throw big money at kitchen knives.

What placement would a brand like Takeda or other, even more expensive kurouchi knives have in the Japanese domestic market, or have they mostly found sales in export markets? Is the tool enthusiast niche strong enough?

Dam, lefty/Lucretia/Boom/Edipisreeks/Zwiefel/mrmmms/stereo.pete I wish somebody told that to me some $5,000 ago. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    I also gathered a lot of home cooks are not really eager to throw big money at kitchen knives.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1071 View Post
    Same here
    Japanese tourists buying lots and lots of german buttersteel productin knives (eg Zwilling or Forschner)....

Could it also be that this day an age of IPHONE's and very good design there's no room for simple HO wood handles...?

Or maybe Patina is just "out"