Quantcast
My first handles - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first handles

Quote Originally Posted by andur View Post
    And may I add the mini yanagiba is a very handy little knife. These two knives are my go-to knives. Small work gets done with the yanagiba (fish, chicken fillet etc) and chopping/veggies are left to the santoku. I suggest everyone get this small Ikeuchi yanagiba, I think it's the best $30 I've spent in the kitchen. So much use and the edge retention is superb.
    The previous handle was a little bit smaller and also the D handles side line is a bit off the ideal placement but it works OK. I might make a new one if I get bored some day.
    Those look very good.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Those look nice.

I would say that the first one is cherry.

Another one coming!
    A teaser here..

That's 320 grit showing, made it to 2500 last night and now the wax is drying. I will polish it and post pics. I also did the tang hole which was super long and narrow but I hope it's ok and I can tap it in tonight!

Did you use epoxy or glue on the tang? I saw where you heated it first, but figure you must use something to hold it in place?

They look great!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Nope, I bang the tang in with a hammer. Put the tang into the tang hole and then lightly tap with a hammer from the back end of the handle. The inertia of the blade will drive the tang well into the handle. And cleaving the handle in half is also very likely if the hole isn't perfect and you tap it too far in!

much more awesomer
    I think we'll need a step-by-step or WIP of your work flow. The sandpaper picture above is a trick; it makes me assume you are only using hand tools!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Yeah you're right I did use other tools - a small lathe and handheld belt sander. I used the lathe to get the end of the handle round and I drilled a hole in the horn. The hole was about 1-1.5mm bigger and I used epoxy and wrapped a soaked fiberglass thread around the round end of the handle and squeezed on the horn. Then used a belt sander to rough it all into a handle shape and then continued smoothing it by hand. My first ones I didn't use a lathe because I made the hole in the horn collar ellipsoid and cut the end of the handle to match exactly (without any fiberglass thread). The fiberglass thread is to make it harder to split when hammering the tang in (just an idea that I had and thought I'd try). I managed to split one very easily because the horn has very little tensile strength.

On one picture where the handle is inserted you can see exactly how far it will go without tapping. From this length I hope the last 8mm or so will go in by tapping (one way to find out!).
    u

The tang hole is made with a 6mm drill bit and then the small files. I ran out of charcoal and this time it is made only by filing. The files are old and worn so it has taken me a few hours to get it this far! And my fingers hurt.

Ok so here you can see that the wood bit inside the collar is round compared to an oval shape. The round bit took me 5 minutes to make, an oval one I think two or three hours to match the horn collar.

Secondly you can see the 1mm fiberglass ring between the two. I hope this will keep it from splitting. The same technique is used by Katsushige Anryu only he uses a copper ring between them. I had run out of black pigment or I would have made the epoxy black to hide it. I'm happy how the faceted end turned out. I just used a flat surface and dragged the handle at an angle on fine sandpaper to do this.

I think I will tap the blade in and then polish it a bit further. You can see I have lightly polished it and it has a grain that resembles wood a bit. That's why it doesn't come out plasticy, the grain gives away it is a natural material. At least that's how I see it

Anyways I'll take some more pictures from this yanagiba and the other ones I've finished so far. Sadly the small lathe I used belongs to grandfather and I didn't take pictures of the previous steps. Maybe for the next one I'll take a photo after every step

Quick update! It needed a hard tapping but went in all the way and didn't crack!

Engorged Member
    I really like WIPs like these, I feel I learn so much and end up with a greater appreciation of the craftsmen that make our knives.

What's a wip? Work In Progress?