Pocket Knife artist Mr. Nakayama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Mr. Sugai has many friends in many places. He has connections in the music industry, tv producers, artists, etc etc. He brings back a lot of interesting things from Japan that we occasionally sell and others he just leaves for safe keeping. (He hides them from Ms. Kawano to keep her from selling them. LOL)

I realize that the images on the website doesn't do these beautiful art pieces justice, so I wanted to share. :)

A few of my favorite pieces that he brought back to Korin to sell:

Gecko Wood Folding Style Pocket Knife by Hidetoshi Nakayama

(My personal favorite)

Frog Box Wood Folding Style Pocket Knife by Nakayama

7700725176_47fa50b937_z.jpg

Blue Steel Tsuge Wooden Cover by Nakayama

I love the intricacy of these hand carved pocket knives!!

The artist that made these pocket knives is Hidetoshi Nakayama. He was born in Saitama prefecture in 1971 and has been working as an active knife maker and Netsuke craftsman. Netsuke are miniature sculpture pins, which function as pins on traditional Japanese clothing, Kimono. Through his training, he came up with a philosophy of ''showing his world view through small scale art"."With the motto, he has been creating knives with his Netsuke craftsman skill and attracting fans from not only Japan, but also from the U.S. and Europe. His knives offer both stunning aesthetics and excellent usability.

Pieces Mr. Sugai keeps for his personal collection:

I would love a yanagiba with a dragon handle like that!!!

Back