picnic knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashae

Reaction score
I'm in search of a nice, small folding knife for use in cutting fruit/sandwiches and the like -- something along the lines of a classic Opinel. The Opinels take a nice edge, but I don't like the collar locking mechanism that much. Any suggestions?

opinel-757867.JPG

Heh...Opinel was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the title of your post. What's not to like about the collar lock? Simple and strong.

I hate cutting fruit with a folder...gets juice all in the hinges.

Maybe just a cheapie stainless petty or parer?

I hate cutting fruit with a folder...gets juice all in the hinges.

Couldn't be more in agreement but...hey...it's a picnic. ;-)

Sasha, although the blade, on some, are carbon, I think all the collars are stainless. Opinel was my first thought too when I read your thread title. If you get a Opinel stainless blade, then all you'll have to do is rinse it off and let it drip dry :)

I think this is basically a ploy for me to explore the art of nice, simple folding knives. I checked out some of the stuff on KF, and it's INSANELY daunting the amount of variation/choice out there. I basically am looking for something a little more fancy than the Opinel (maybe up to a Laguiole, though I don't like the blade shape) that takes a nice edge.

Suncraftportmod.jpg

This one seems just right to me. Fifty cents at a rummage sale.

Tactical knife in a kydex sheath... :D

I know not of what I talk. The opinels look good...

I think this is basically a ploy for me to explore the art of nice, simple folding knives. I checked out some of the stuff on KF, and it's INSANELY daunting the amount of variation/choice out there. I basically am looking for something a little more fancy than the Opinel (maybe up to a Laguiole, though I don't like the blade shape) that takes a nice edge.
I think you'll be happy with a Laguiole. I recieved one as gift several years ago and it's Always a pleasure to use it. Beautiful work on the spine, brass and stainless all over and nice wood scales make it a treat to look at. The sanvik 12c27 blade takes a great edge as well. The only downside is the lack of a locking mechanism, but it's a special occasion pocket knife, not a hard use knife so I really don't mind. I just took my students on a field trip to a local organic farm and the Laguiole served very well cutting slices and chunks of fruit and veg all day. I think it would make a great picnic knife.

Back