Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Nguyen 23.7 cm 1084 gyuto passaround

Yes. I think you're nuts! It's a Konosuke, with a much nicer handle, done by an American MEMBER maker, and I love the tips on the two I've handled.

You knifemakers are a weird bunch....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks Tom!

I would like to say the tip comment pertained to more the Prototype than the ones with the black handles; the tips on those are much closer to where I like them to be, but all other observations still apply

That tip is just about right for me, it glides through onions like nobodies business and what fit and finish issues? This is a damn fine knife and one of the best prototypes I've seen.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Well, I'm about to send this out on Monday or Tuesday to Justin. Here is my review. I was fortunate enough to handle this for a little while at the ECG and was immediately smitten by it. The look is unique, I haven't seen anything quite like it. I don't normally go for that modernist look, but this one has style. It is nice and thin and still a little stiff with some flex. I like the tip the way it is. It sails through prep like nobodies business. I used it exclusively all week for everything from hulling strawberries to cutting NY strips. I got very little sticktion on anything, It loves onions and tomatoes. I got very clean cuts on carrots and large sweet potatoes. It is surprisingly nimble and actually looks smaller than it really is. It has a beautiful electric blue patina right now. I have not sharpened it once since, I got it. The only thing I have done is run it once a day for about 10 seconds on the new jadeite stone to freshen the edge and I'm good to go. I will actually send it off unsharpened to Justin and see what he thinks. I liked this knife so much that within 10 minutes of recieving it I hocked a few things and bought one. Might as well get one while I can still afford it.
    Good job Don, I can't believe this is the prototype. Can only imagine what the other one is going to be like.
    thanks, Son

fit and finish is impeccable, choil is rounded on the right side , but only eased on the left. The spine is nicely eased also. The handle is crisp and feels remarkably well in the hand. It is shaped well for a pinch grip. The blade has an oh, so slight curve to it that is not noticeable at all in the cutting process. It is probably some stress in the steel from heat treat. I mean slight as in if you didn't know to look for it, you might miss it.You might miss it anyway. I love this knife.

My feelings were much the same, but I wasn't in a position to say so. However, now, I agree
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

High praise.

Congratulations, Don.

One participant has dropped out, and another has been added. The list now is:

brainsausage
    sachem allison
    Justin505
    Crothcipt
    Vertigo
    SpikeC
    chuck239
    El Pescador
    Pabloz

Burke Cutlery
    Cuttty Sharp

Rick

Rick, I just sent this out to Justin today. Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Rick, I just sent this out to Justin today. Thanks, again.
    You're welcome, Son. Thank you for the excellent review.