Don Nguyen 23.7 cm 1084 gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those of you who drop by FoodieForums may know that I picked up Don Nguyen's prototype gyuto a couple of weeks ago. I am impressed with the knife and would like to share Don's work with the forum by doing a passaround.

I won't link to a thread in a competing forum, but if you are interested, the sale thread is in "The Trading Post" and it's fairly easy to find.

Here are a couple of pics I took:

e4d3d544.jpg

f7a25969.jpg

The usual rules apply - keep it a week, sharpen it only if you know what you're doing, insure it when shipping to the next person on the list. Post in this thread when you get the knife and when you send it to the next person. No need to write a review, but if you want to post about your experience, please do.

Preference will be given given to Site Supporters. You should have a minimum of 50 posts or be known to me.

PM me or reply in this thread if you're interested.

Rick

Oh, what the heck! It looks very interesting! I would like to try it out!

Rick,

I'd love to check it out and be on the list.

-Chuck

Spike, Chuck and brainsausage, you're all in.

Spike, I have your name and address from the Harner passaround.

Chuck and brainsausage, please PM me yours.

Rick

Rick, I'll pm you my address. Haha

I'm in too :D

OOO I'm a sucker for a knife. Exp. if no one here has tried it. So I'm in.

Btw nice new pic spike. :)~

I am very excited to see how this goes! I miss that guy being around.

I dont get to cut as much anymore, so it takes me too long to evaluate a knife. Can I be put on the list as a second, or a standby or something?

Depending on when this gets to Lefty I'd be real interested. I might be on vacation though...

Ooh I'd like to try! Kidding :)

Thanks for doing this Rick! Looking forward to some feedback from you all.

Oh cool! If there's room at the end, Id really like to check this one out too. If not, it's ok because you've got quite the all-star line-up already and Im sure that every detail will get covered.

Just for a change, I’ve decided to start with our Canadian brethren, so the knife will be sent to Tom (Lefty) in the morning.

Josh (jm2hill), you can have it after Tom if it fits into your schedule. PM me your address if you can take a turn.

After that, it will move down the east coast, then across the country and up the west coast.

Son (sachem allison), Justin (Justin0505) and Chuck (chuck239), please PM me your addresses so I can determine where you fit in the list. Thanks.

Eamon, if you want a turn, just let me know and I'll put you in. There's room for everyone.

Rick

I touched up the handle and saya a bit, which included the pin. Otherwise its the same knife.

Okay, the knife is on its way to Lefty, and jm2hill. The US participants are, in order:

brainsausage
sachem allison
Justin505
Crothcipt
Vertigo
SpikeC
chuck239
El Pescador
Pabloz

Burke Cutlery

I hope you enjoy seeing and using Don's work.

Rick

Can't wait! Thanks, Rick (and Don)!
I have a good feeling about this number. :)

One late addition, JohnyChai.

brainsausage
sachem allison
Justin505
Crothcipt
Vertigo
SpikeC
chuck239
El Pescador
Pabloz

Burke Cutlery
JohnyChai

Rick

Just got this badboy, this morning. I haven't done anything other than hold and look at it, but my initial impressions are very good. Nice taper, great handle, the grind looks nice, and we'll have to see how it goes from here.
I'm looking forward to putting it to work. :)

Alright, this is early, but I'm already impressed! I used the gyuto to make dinner and got this wonderful patina:

62A7B4D5-6A17-4F84-90F7-056C24328D4E-35353-00002E81CB4A84BC.jpg

And this wonderful meal :) :

042DEABB-CE3D-4292-BB13-131CD20E7332-35353-00002E81EF0F13B9.jpg

Gotta love Canadian beef and summers!

Ok, this baby will be getting sent out to brainsausage (whatever that means ;) ) on Monday.

I'm not going to post a full review, as there is one more thing I need to do before I ship it out. However, I will say that I fell in love with this gyuto! It's light, lean, cuts beautifully, release food very well (both left and right handed) and best of all, if just looks and feel damn good while doing so.

I'll be sharpening it tomorrow, before shipping it out, so I'll address that in a day or so.

Overall, this is one heck of a knife, and people need to watch out for Don's handiwork!

Just recieved a package from Tom, with the knife and my new shaving kit! Best way to start the day! I'll post some info in a couple days, after a get a chance to put her through her paces, but my first impression: Wow that handle is frikkin beautiful....

Latest posts

Back