Quantcast
NKD - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NKD

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Stainless clading.

I love patina.
    Funny, that's one thing I like about them.

Are these made by the same Kato as the new knives Maksim has started carrying? I actually wish those had stainless cladding or were semi-stainless like the Yoshikanes.

Very good looking knife.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I dig the new handle as well...but more importantly, how does it cut?

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Funny, that's one thing I like about them.

Are these made by the same Kato as the new knives Maksim has started carrying? I actually wish those had stainless cladding or were semi-stainless like the Yoshikanes.
    Its not.

I am hoping to be making review very soon, And I will make a video of reactivity vs onion - If i manage to get/borrow any camcorder

Nice acquisition, Mike!

So after using it a couple times, and getting a slimmer handle on it, the stock handle was a little too thick for my taste. I really like it, cuts beautifully, no wedging,the edge hasn't degraded at all, and it has enough blade height and belly to act as an all purpose knife. I might consider a passaround after I use it for a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg‎
Views:	57
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	9081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg‎
Views:	53
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	9082  

Mike, put me on the list for that one. I'd love to do a side by side with my Hiromoto wa suji to see how they compare.

What do you think?

So after using the Masakage for a bit what do you think? I am looking at maybe picking up a 240mm Gyuto and possibly as 150mm petty in this line. Not much out there about these knives, that I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy G View Post
    So after using the Masakage for a bit what do you think? I am looking at maybe picking up a 240mm Gyuto and possibly as 150mm petty in this line. Not much out there about these knives, that I can find.
    Mike let me test drive the Masakage for a bit. It's an interesting knife to say the least. There's a lot to like about it. The blade is deep compared to other sujis. The tang is very narrow and the transition from tang to blade is radiused which contributes to comfortably "roomy" feel, as you have a bit more knuckle room. It almost feels like a hybrid gyutou-suji. It could easily be used as a main knife in conjunction with a couple other specialty blades if you wanted to travel with a really light kit and didn't want both a suji and gyutou.

It's noticably thin behind the edge so cutting performance is quite good. The AS steel performed very nicely. Mike hadn't sharpened it yet, so it still had the factory edge. After a quick tuneup on the hone, the edge was very nice indeed, and stayed that way. The only issues I noticed, and these are minor, is the spine is pretty sharp and that the kurochi finish felt a bit powdery, as if the finish had not fully set. The finish gave the blade an odd feel in the hand. I suspect that if you went after it with a scrub pad and a bit of BKF or similar, you'd probably see that disappear very quickly.

I really liked it a lot. I really think this knife would be perfect as a line knife.

Pulled the trigger

I bought a Masakage Koishi 150mm petty and a 240mm Gyuto today, sure hope I like them.

+ Reply to Thread