Thread: Converting a DT IDK Wa-Gyuto to Western Gyuto

Converting a DT IDK Wa-Gyuto to Western Gyuto

Hoss,

I just received a ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto and love it exept for the handle. I typically use a pinch grip which does not feel natural to me with the Japanese handle.

Is it possible to convert this to a Western handle? If so, would you do the work or would you suggest another craftsman to do this?

I am trying to get the **** 10th Anniversary Knife which you are making. If this has a Western handle and I get one, then I may simply keep the 270mm as is.

I appreciate your advise and guidance.

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef

Quote Originally Posted by RioChef View Post
    Hoss,

I just received a ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto and love it exept for the handle. I typically use a pinch grip which does not feel natural to me with the Japanese handle.

Is it possible to convert this to a Western handle? If so, would you do the work or would you suggest another craftsman to do this?

I am trying to get the **** 10th Anniversary Knife which you are making. If this has a Western handle and I get one, then I may simply keep the 270mm as is.

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef
    I know you're addressing this to Devin, but I'll throw my two cents in and suggest that you PM Matt Stephens (kalaeb) and arrange to have him make a hidden tang handle for your DT ITK.

Here is a pic of a Carter Matt did. I had an opportunity to handle it, and it felt just like a Western handled knife.

Welcome to KKF!

Rick

Don't forget Dave Martell's western-ish conversion! Also on a Carter interestingly enough.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

What is it about your grip that is incompatible with the handle or vice versa? I use a pinch for the most part and I prefer wa handles.

Quote Originally Posted by RioChef View Post
    Hoss,

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef
    I'll be glad to do a conversion for you if you would like. Contact me for details. We decided not to do any of the 10th anniversary knives with western handles, sorry.

Hoss