Converting a DT IDK Wa-Gyuto to Western Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hoss,

I just received a ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto and love it exept for the handle. I typically use a pinch grip which does not feel natural to me with the Japanese handle.

Is it possible to convert this to a Western handle? If so, would you do the work or would you suggest another craftsman to do this?

I am trying to get the **** 10th Anniversary Knife which you are making. If this has a Western handle and I get one, then I may simply keep the 270mm as is.

I appreciate your advise and guidance.

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef

Hoss,

I just received a ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto and love it exept for the handle. I typically use a pinch grip which does not feel natural to me with the Japanese handle.

Is it possible to convert this to a Western handle? If so, would you do the work or would you suggest another craftsman to do this?

I am trying to get the **** 10th Anniversary Knife which you are making. If this has a Western handle and I get one, then I may simply keep the 270mm as is.

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef

I know you're addressing this to Devin, but I'll throw my two cents in and suggest that you PM Matt Stephens (kalaeb) and arrange to have him make a hidden tang handle for your DT ITK.

Here is a pic of a Carter Matt did. I had an opportunity to handle it, and it felt just like a Western handled knife.

Welcome to KKF!

Rick

316abfb6.jpg

18ec89e5.jpg

What is it about your grip that is incompatible with the handle or vice versa? I use a pinch for the most part and I prefer wa handles.

Hoss,

Best regards to all,

Claudio aka RioChef

I'll be glad to do a conversion for you if you would like. Contact me for details. We decided not to do any of the 10th anniversary knives with western handles, sorry.

Hoss

Latest posts

Back