Quantcast
Disc Sanders - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disc Sanders

my rotary tool is a proxxon and i've used their micro drill press before... i like their tools

Figured I'd ask here instead of a new thread, if I wanted to pick up a very inexpensive belt/disc sander for some amateur handle work, will the single-speed versions you find in most big box tool stores be too fast to rough out some of the more exotic woods? If I can't fine sand with the power tool, then that's fine but it would be nice for the rough shaping etc. But if it's gonna burn up my ironwood/cocobolo/etc then there's no point in buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    Figured I'd ask here instead of a new thread, if I wanted to pick up a very inexpensive belt/disc sander for some amateur handle work, will the single-speed versions you find in most big box tool stores be too fast to rough out some of the more exotic woods? If I can't fine sand with the power tool, then that's fine but it would be nice for the rough shaping etc. But if it's gonna burn up my ironwood/cocobolo/etc then there's no point in buying one.
    I had the sears combo and the belt moved at 1/2 the speed of the disc.The belt worked great for me until I wore out the platen it was running on,I epoxied some glass on the worn platen and she was like new again.

The secret is not to hurry. If you use a light touch, fresh abrasives and take it easy you will not burn the material.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Back when I made handles... I used a 9" combo disc grinder which worked ok, then I bought a 20" grinder which worked GREAT. The biggest draw back to the huge grinder was the cost of upkeep as the discs are insanely expensive. After some "research," I find that the 9" with a 1° bevel works the best and allows you to use regular sheets of sandpaper which keeps the price down. Anyhow, that is what has worked best in my experience. Best of luck!

Regards,
    M

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    For handles I prefer the flat disk. I would buy a table wih a mitre, a 1 1/2 horse 3 phase motor with VFD and i would buy a disk that has interchangeble face disks and at least three disks. I have both flat and bevaled disks and find that I cannot get a perfectly flat face on the disk with the bevel. interchangeable disk faces let you save a little more on paper. You don't know how many times I have cussed because I just put on a new piece of paper and after thirty seconds use I am tearing it off for the next finer grit.

+ Reply to Thread