Contest - Guess what this is

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Haven't had a give away contest in a while so we will do a drawing Saturday afternoon.
I just got this wood yesterday.
Make a post here guessing what kind of wood this is.
Your post will be your entry into the contest.
The prize will be a WA size block cut from this burl.
It is an easy one to guess so I will use the random number generator to select the winner.

A few hints; it is hard, heavy, expensive and comes from SE Asia.
ab002.jpg

ab001.jpg

Amboyna burl?

And, for a chuckle ...

Headstone of Russell J. Larsen in the Logan City Cemetery, Logan, Utah

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW FOR A HAPPY LIFE:

1. It's important to have a woman who helps at home, cooks from time to time, cleans up, and has a job.

2. It's important to have a woman who can make you laugh.

3. It's important to have a woman who you can trust, and doesn't lie to you.

4. It's important to have a woman who is good in bed, and likes to be with you.

5. It's very important these four women do not know each other, or you could end up dead like me.

Didn't log in fast enough--amboyna for me, too.

Amboyna is my guess as well. You hinted as much in an earlier post. :)

I'll say Thuya Burl:groucho:

It does look a lot like a set of Thuya scales I have but they are very light in weight.

Amboyna, my guess here.

Thanks for the contest Mark!

I have a feeling it might be amboyna. Looks great too!

thanks for lead which lead me to another link.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterocarpus_indicus which present answers that I have been looking for...

it is a discovery to me that this is the tree that used to be common in my village... Its all gone now . the branches do break during thunderstorms

More importantly is the point that this is Narra wood as I have been hunting for a perfect slab of wood for a dining table.. . Finally found one for the time being .. a 90 x 30 x 5 inch perfect Macassar Ebony. The hunt of a perfect Narra slab is still on.. whenever I go back to philippines.

Again.. thanks.

rgds
D

I think Amboina wood is it. at least that is what the Wiki said about the islands. Nice to get a geography lesson too. Ty for this opportunity.

Amboina? Amboina? Am I allowed two guesses?

Bugger, I'm going to say Amboyna too... but why I've got the disturbing impression that it's a trap? :biggrin:

Its angsona wood!
Spike,
If you are going to let your dogs use your computer, at least make them use their own Log-in.
They are starting to make you appear a little bit strange.

Spike,
If you are going to let your dogs use your computer, at least make them use their own Log-in.
They are starting to make you appear a little bit strange.

Your link says that's the name of the tree amboina wood comes from.

Amboina it tis

Canadian redringed big leafed small rooted burl:laughat:

Back