Quantcast
Introducing the Gesshin 6000 Splash-and-Go Stone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Gesshin 6000 Splash-and-Go Stone

Introducing the Gesshin 6000 Splash-and-Go Stone

The Gesshin 6000 Grit stone is a splash and go stone. However, it works best after a quick 1-2 minute soak. This stone is medium hard, relatively fast cutting, and leaves a very nice polish. It also resists dishing very well. The edge has a good amount of bite for kitchen use, but is not overly toothy or agressive. This stone is great for uraoshi sharpening and koba (microbevels). It cuts well on all kinds of steel i have tested it on, from white steel to ZDP-189. It works best when you allow the togidoro (mud and swarf from sharpening) to build up a tiny bit. This stone easily cleans up scratches from medium grit stones (1k-2k), and i have even used it directly from a 600 grit stone before with no trouble.

This stone should not be stored in water. Between use, it should be allowed to dry in cool, well ventilated area away from direct sunlight.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...go-stone.html#

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    ugh another thing on the list. Speaking of list I need to start writing it down.
    Chewie's the man.

This looks like it would make a great touch up stone for work. Jon? ;-)

I should get more credit for coming up with an awesome coloring for the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    This looks like it would make a great touch up stone for work. Jon? ;-)

could be... actually, i have another stone in the works that, together with this, could be a 2 stone setup for almost everyone's needs

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    ugh another thing on the list. Speaking of list I need to start writing it down.
    Use JKI's "Add to wishlist" function. Easy-peasy.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    could be... actually, i have another stone in the works that, together with this, could be a 2 stone setup for almost everyone's needs
    Looking forward to it :-).

Can you compare/contrast the 4000/5000/6000? TBH, from what I've read this seems pretty close to your 5k. Thanks!

they are actually all very different and i use them for different things (doesnt mean you have to). The 4k is a hard feeling stone that cuts very aggressively and has great tactile feedback. Its eats though all types of steel with no problems at all. I use this for many double bevel knives and for koba (microbevels) and uraoshi sharpening on single bevel knives. The 5k is a slower cutting stone that has a bit more bounce in the surface. Its not that fast cutting, but it polishes amazingly fast and very well. The finish it leaves is near mirror and it is one of the easiest stones to get very clean burr/wire edge free edges from. I often finish double bevel knives for chefs on this stone. The 6k is a harder stone, but not quite as hard as the 4k. Its much faster cutting than the 5k, but not as fast as the 4k. I use it for the edge on single bevel knives sometimes, as well as uraoshi sharpening and microbevels. It leaves a mirror finish while the 4k does not. Its also nice that it is splash and go unlike the 4k which needs to be soaked.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Use JKI's "Add to wishlist" function. Easy-peasy.
    Yep went there. But there are other things I want too
    Chewie's the man.