Quantcast
Ive finally understood!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ive finally understood!

Ive finally understood!

So I was talking with my chef lately, about what makes cooking a joy, and what gives best result. of course best means different things for different folks, but after we both agreed, that the best way to cook piece of fish is to pan-fry it, he said, that maybe its best, but there are people who just dont know how to do it correctly. Thats how simple it is. You can go wrong pretty easily, it takes care and skill, but nothing combines crunch and mild flesh as good as frying pan.
    I think it applies to basically everything else in cooking. How do you obtain dry meat? Why is risotto bland?
    So for me its lack of understanding which causes cornercutting. Inventing new techniques which might not be better, but its easier to execute for someone who doesnt wish to master it, just does it.
    huh

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I think that you should be very careful saying that one way is 'better' than another. My favorite way to eat great fish is with some acidity, raw.

as a bondafide southerner, I am constitutionally prohibited from speaking against fried food...even pan-fried food...but my favorite fish preparation is grilled, hot-smoked, and served with a good chimichurri.

Now you've got me wondering if I could create some kind of breading/batter for grilled fish....
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Bieniek,

I have always been pissed off with a cook trying to cut corners. they are looking for a quick way to get the food out of the kitchen, and not thinking of how it will taste. I think that cutting corners is the biggest problem with most cooks. weather its in the oven or grilled.

I myself love pan fried, grilled fish. Either way if done right will set my socks on fire.
    Chewie's the man.

I think "best" really comes down to what you want your end product to end up like. Cutting corners, shows a lack of understanding of what you want your end product to end up like. I am drunk off my a$$ right now, so I forgot the deep and profound thought I had, but if you have the knowledge, and take the time, you can create whatever you have pictured in your mind, good or bad, despite cooking technique.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    lol maybe it will hit you later, or even tomorrow.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    lol maybe it will hit you later, or even tomorrow.
    I'm pretty sure it's lost forever. Well maybe until I forget what it was meant for.

Sponsors
    raw for me too

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I think that you should be very careful saying that one way is 'better' than another. My favorite way to eat great fish is with some acidity, raw.

"Best period" is very different than "best for an application."

People that think that they have found THE answer usually just haven't askes enough questions.

However, I agree that the simple techniques are often the trickest to fully understand and master.

I like simple if I'm cooking for a crowd on the beach or out of my element. lately i've been messing with my PS Sous Vide rig.

Two treatments of fish:
    1.) Cod with garden snap peas over butternut squash. Simple ingredient list. Sousvide for 15 min in butter, cured lemon, confit garlic and touch of turmeric. Maldon Salt

2.) Organic farm raised salmon steak, sous vide in beurre blanc, finished pan seared bathed in Ghee and a little coconut oil on mushroom Risotto with carrots and celery.

+ Reply to Thread