Quantcast
Ive finally understood! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ive finally understood!

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I like simple if I'm cooking for a crowd on the beach or out of my element. lately i've been messing with my PS Sous Vide rig.

Two treatments of fish:
    1.) Cod with garden snap peas over butternut squash. Simple ingredient list. Sousvide for 15 min in butter, cured lemon, confit garlic and touch of turmeric. Maldon Salt

2.) Organic farm raised salmon steak, sous vide in beurre blanc, finished pan seared bathed in Ghee and a little coconut oil on mushroom Risotto with carrots and celery.

That Salmon looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    However, I agree that the simple techniques are often the trickest to fully understand and master.
    +1
    Plus I guess its easier + faster + more cost effective if you say to someone with low rate: vacuum this meat and cook it low, margin is big.
    For sure easier than giving him a piece of steak, explain about the pan temperature, searing sense, seasoning, cooking, checking, glazing, resting, herbs, testing, reheating and blah blah

Fortunately, some flavours, like for example roasting/grilling flavour cannot be faked.

It's not just corner-cutting, IMO. It's the premise that a more complicated dish is the best dish, rather than an attempt to balance the prepartion with the characteristics of the ingredients. Cover a perfectly fresh, mild white fish with heavily seasoned sauce and you've lost the wonderful subtleties of the fish. Properly fry it and the fish is still the star of the show. It's kind of like what they say about artists--the trick is to know when to stop painting.

And I admit I do cut corners on occasion. With only so many hours in a day for my army of one, it happens. But it is possible to use some judgement and choose shortcuts that will lessen the impact on your dish--if you're aware you're cutting a corner and have an understanding of how it will affect your results.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

You mean, like LAMB 86?

I think the best treatment of a fillet of fish is what Dave Pasternack does. Wondra on the skin side, medium heat in a cast iron pan with olive oil, S&P it in the pan. Bump it down to the broiler, still in the pan, to finish. It's simple, versatile, and always delicious. Really lets the freshness of the fish shine.

I think American's over complicate Italian food. talk about the ingredients being the star of the show. i remember watching a show a few years ago where jamie Oliver had to cook for a bunch of Italian grandmothers (living in Italy). he cooked some good thing but they beat him up because it had too many ingredients.

I like to cook both ways but agreed that your truly can't explore a more modern way of cooking without understanding how the classics are prepared.

Good one Eamon. I'll have to give that wondra a try

It's taken me my entire cooking life, from the tender age of 8 (I think), to properly cook and egg. Achieving perfection in the simplest things is an impossible pursuit, but it makes us better all around.

LOL, 22 years to cook and egg? Obtuse, after the tenth year and 1000 ova later, you might say, hey maybe cooking aint for me.

Only kidding but still funny. I know what you're your coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    You mean, like LAMB 86?

Plebian that I am, I'd never heard of this and had to look it up. The interesting thing was all the search results were "Wow! 86 ingredients! On a tray that so complex the sous chefs use a map! That you eat with Lamb!"

Nothing popped up saying "this is the most delicious thing you will ever put in your mouth."

The emperor has no clothes.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller